Personal independence payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Personal independence payment

spike1973
spike1973 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I’ve beern on DLA for a very long time and had to appeal to get the higher rate of care and since been assessed for PIP and they say that I’m not eligiable to claim it despite having severe Epilepsy, hydrocephalus and now Ménière’s Disease I think this is a ludicrous decision. 

Comments

• cfd42
    cfd42 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It's disgraceful. I've just had all of mine refused. I was high rate care and low rate mobility. An assessor came out last week and now they're saying I'm not entitled to anything even though I told her I'm getting worse
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @cfd42

Are you going to ask for a mandatory reconsideration?
  • cfd42
    cfd42 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Definetley. I think it's terrible the way sick people are being treated
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear this, @spike1973, that must have been really frustrating to hear. It seems that changing from DLA to PIP has been a nightmare for many others too. Let us know if there's anything we can support you with.
  • Ragdolly
    Ragdolly Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Spike there should be a disability advise agency in your area who can advise you & help you in all apects of living with disabilities & they will fill in forms for you, they know the points system (sometimes it's just down to filling in forms correctly)
    There has been recent changes concerning claims with epilepsy too, phone your local council or the Citizens Advise Bureau for their name & telephone number
    All the best
  • TheIceQween
    TheIceQween Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have been in dla for a long time and it's not changing over to pip, I have to go to dartford tomorrow for an assessment and I used to be on high rate mobility middle rate care and I am so worried that they will say I'm not entitled to either I am slightly dyslexic and I can't read and write properly I feel I may have not filled in the form correctly or understood the questions and if it gets stopped I am going to be housebound and unable to live. My daughter is my career she don't live with me but she comes to me to help me wash, dress, cook and clean for me helps me so much.
    I am so scared as I have heard of so many ppl who was on dla being refused this new pip thing.
    I can't sleep at the best of times bit this is just keeping me awake with stress of some penpusher who don't know me or my pain and problems taking one look at me and saying u look ok and fit enough not to get this.
    Just because I don't have a missing limb or anything like that don't mean I'm not disabled. Fibromyalgia and lupus, colitis is an unseen disability and living with it day in and day out is dibilating and isolating as u can't see it. 
    Can someone please give me some advice of what I should say or do to make them understand my problem.
    Thank you. Xx

Brightness