Mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory reconsideration

Options
lynne54
lynne54 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi I’m new here can anyone tell me if you fail your assessment is a mandatory reconsideration ever overturned or do you have to go to a tribunal thank you .

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi lynne and welcome

In some cases an MR can improve your award, but the greater success is achieved at tribunal

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lynne54
    Options
    Thank you do you know how long it takes for it to be seen by a tribunal please many thanks,
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Typically a tribunal hearing can be 4-8 months, but it depends on area and whether you opt for an oral or paper based hearing.

CR
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @lynne54

You can also opt for a short-notice oral hearing in case they get a cancellation.
  • lynne54
    Options
    Thank you for your help.
  • lynne54
    Options
    Is it sooner if you have a paper hearing.

• CockneyRebel
    Options
    A paper hearing can be fitted in when ever the tribunal have space, so in thoery it can be quicker. The down side is that you do not have the opportunity to put your case and the panel cannot ask you to clarify anything so the success rate of a paper hearing is likely to be less than that of an oral hearing

CR
  • emmawat
    emmawat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hello all I'm wondering if you could give some advice as in received letter from esa to say this is now stopped as I failed to attend a medical this is not correct I was not even aware I had a medical otherwise I would have went I'm now without any benefits I suffer long term mental health issue I don't know what I now should do any information. Would be really good Thanks
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Hello emmawat and welcome

It will be easier to help you if you can start a new topic

It is not that uncommon for Letters advising that you are due an assement become mislaid. It is also very hard to prove that you had no notification
    Have you recently moved ?
    Have there been any postal delays in your area ?
    The first thing you must do is ask for a mandatory reconsideration explaining that you had no notification.
    It would be a very good idea to get f2f advice from CAB asap

There is lots of info on here about MR and appeals. please have a look around and come back with questions

CR

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.