Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment

Options
ellenlow17
ellenlow17 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi. I’m going for my assessment tomorrow. My main health problems are Fibrmyalgia, arthritis and COPD. Does anyone have any good tips as I’m really not looking forward to it 

Comments

• ellenlow17
    Options
    I should have said...it’s a PIP assessment 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello ellenlow and welcome

The best thing to do is be yourself.
    We all get used to dealing with our problems and find ways to manage our daily lives. For your assessment,you need to be the you that does not have these coping mechanisms. The assessor needs to see the real you warts and all. Don't make any special effort, you are not going on a date. Keep taking your meds as you normally do If you use walkinfg aids, use them. If you need to stop and rest, do so. The assessor will be watching you from the very first moment you arrive, even in the car park. You do not have to perform any physical test that would mean you are in pain or cause you to suffer, but you must explain your reason for refusing.
    Try to answer questions in the negative. For example if asked
    " Can you walk for 50 m ?" instead of our usual response
    " Yes, but I need to rest every...... "
    The assessor will stop listening at "Yes "
    Try
    " No, but if I stop every 5 m or so.........."
    The assessor now has to listen to what you are saying.

Nobody knows the help you need better than you so it is your job to teach the assessor what it is to be you and what help you need.

Best odf luck and please come back and let us know how you get on

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ellenlow17
    Options
    That’s good advice. Thank you.........BUT
    My assessment was for 3.15 today and journey takes 45 minutes. At 1.30 the assessment centre called me to cancel the appointment due to “sickness” !!  I did ask why they couldn’t at least let me earlier this morning if somebody was off. They could give no reason 
    afterwards, I remembered reading that if appointment is cancelled for ANY reason it’s best to phone DWP to inform them so they don’t think it’s me at fault. I rang them and when I finally got somebody to talk to he dismissed my call as “Atos will let us know”. When I stated 4 times I wanted him to open my file to write the details he finally decided to ask my name!
    I’ve now a 2 week wait and sleepless nights ahead of me   Very frustrated and upset 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oh how frustrating for you @ellenlow17 :(

We do have a video about preparing for a PIP assessment that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ellenlow17
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.