Any info on ARND...alcohol related neurodevelopment disorder. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any info on ARND...alcohol related neurodevelopment disorder.

janicewilson57
janicewilson57 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I have an adopted daughter aged 19 who has a diagnosis of ARND...alcohol related neurodevelopment disorder.  I would be grateful for any information as to how to help her.   She hasn't ever worked and suffers from social anxiety.  She easily gets bored and irritable.  She gets PIP and ESA..... I manage her money with her.  

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    NOFAS UK The National Organisation for Foetal Alcohol Syndrome-UK is dedicated to supporting people affected by Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD).  Am I right in thinking that ARND comes under FASD?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • janicewilson57
    Yes it does. I will check out this organisation...many thanks xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know much about FASD @janicewilson57
    How would you like to help your daughter? Is there a particular area that you need support with?

We have lots of advisors in certain areas, education, relationships, work, benefits, so let us know if there is anything in particular we could offer support in.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • janicewilson57
    Hi I would like to help her with work, benefits and keeping her occupied as she gets agitated easily.  She doesn't have any friends....although she does have a boyfriend at the moment.  Although she has a flat up the road from me she spends a lot of time with me and relies heavily on me for help with money....washing...cooking and everyday life.  She suffers from anxiety and panic attacks also.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Hi, I hope this isn't taken the wrong way because I tend to be very judgemental about anything alcohol related. I think it is because I have 3 grown up children and always worry about their actions and the preponderance of alcohol in current society. I am terrified that my children will have alcohol related problems, especially my son who drinks far too much.

Anyway, I wonder if you would mind telling me how this came about.

Apologies in advance if I have given offense.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • janicewilson57
    No offence taken...I adopted my daughter at 8 months old and was told that the birth mother was binge drinking whilst pregnant but didn't know that this could cause brain damage....social services didn't tell us
  • janicewilson57
    Drinking any alcohol when pregnant can cause foetal alcohol syndrome....this condition isn't well known about...it is not safe to drink any amount.  The condition can cause learning and severe behavioual problems. 
  • Nomanoba
    Nomanoba Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Janice,  Alcohol as well as being addictive is also a habit.  To remove the article of offence we must find an emotional twin.  Hate is my goto comparison, for it is not only a drug but also a habit.  Hate is just a commodity that we transfer from our last victim to the next.  We can take away alcohol or any other drug as long as we fill the void with a positive emotion. If we can teach the victim to rationalize hate, then any addiction can be overcome.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Thank you for responding.

I never thought of it in the way you describe and it is a shame that there seem to be so many cases now where a pregnant mother can virtually destroy a child's life before it even gets started using drink or drugs. I do know that I should be more understanding regarding alcohol related problems but it upsets me that people throw away their lives making no effort to curb excessive drinking.

There is a group I go to on a Friday hosted by MIND. Unfortunately the building usually has multiple groups using it's facilities and AA is one of them. A number of our group are physically disabled as well as having MH issues yet the people attending AA cram all their cars into the small parking area available with no thought for anyone else needing the spaces more. Having spoken to a number of them it seems that most of the older men aren't interested in not drinking, just chatting up the younger women attendees. The younger women themselves mostly bring young children with them causing noise and other child related issues, insist on the pushchairs having right of way and are often rude to anyone speaking to them. They seem to treat it as a day out.  I have yet to speak to any of them who seriously wants to stop drinking and all admit to continuing to drink but keeping it a secret. Not something they admit to your face but something I have overheard when talking amongst themselves.

I'm afraid that this type of attitude plus my son's excuses claiming it isn't a problem has rather made me resentful of such people.

TK

P.S. I apologise as I have rather drifted off topic.
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • janicewilson57
    There isn't enough known about Beth' condition and I'm sure lots of children are getting diagnosed with ADHD when it could be Foetal Alcohol Syndrome.as some symptoms ate the same
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janicewilson57, hope you're having a good day. As you mentioned you're interested in supporting your daughter in terms of employment and work, I just thought I'd make you aware that we have an employment advisor who can answer any specific queries you may have. We also have a category for discussing mental health issues. Hope this helps! 

Brightness