Pip & people who work . — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip & people who work .

Donk1962
Donk1962 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I feel that one of the reasons i have been turned down for PIP is because I work .
Im self employed have been for 24 yrs .I have  an autoimmune disease , psoriatic arthritis Fibromyalgia .I inject twice a week and have to pace myself work wise to manage my illness.Which being self employed helps me do .But i pay full cost for prescription ,full cost for council tax .I struggle working but it helps my mental health staying in work .Im on low income because I just cant work fulltime anymore.
I also have ostiarthritis in my wrists feet and neck .Having the lower rate of pip would help me stay in work .Am i right in thinking Pip should in theory help people like me?

Comments

• eddie4389
    eddie4389 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi can  agree with you here i had a stroke 45 years ago i gone back to work although i have good days  have many bad days my stroke left me week on left side and tire quickly an effect of all meds eg, warfrine suffer from back and leg pain hence it effects my work but PIP dont want to know feel let down to say at least
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Donk and welcome

PIP should be payable whether you work or not provided that you meet the criteria for an award.

Try taking the B&W self test  to get an idea whether you fit

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is also lots of info on this site

As you are on a low income have you applied for an HC2 certificate that can help with NHS costs ?

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @Donk1962 PIP is not means tested and you would not be turned down simply for being in work.

There is a high rate of refusal at the initial decision and this is usually rubber stamped at the Mandatory Reconsideration stage. However at appeal this reverses and there is a high success rate for claimants.

You do however need to meet the criteria for PIP. I usually recommend people check out https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

With regards to prescriptions, depending on how much they regularly cost you, you might benefit from the prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) you can find out more at https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.