PIP advice please?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP advice please??

Options
Heather1964
Heather1964 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
 Hi all.. am in such a mess over this. . I seen I'm not the only one too!!
I was originally awarded on DLA full mobility rate and low rate care but a few months ago I had to attend an assessment for PIP.. I requested a home visit but I was refused.. so I went to my local hospital for it. I'm not very good on my legs so walk with 2 sticks. Because I "walked into the hospital"  (approx 30ft from the car to the room they didn't see me stumble or stop n start) "my mobility is not awarded as I can walk alright with sticks" .. it's a long story so to cut short.. my GP yesterday has now referred me to a self-propelled wheelchair. ..... what on earth does it take to be awarded ??!! My story goes on further from here but I don't wanna go on about it too much.. roughly though after this news item became ill from the stress for over a month so I missed out on my appeal time can anybody tell me what else I can do about this please?? My illness has worsened hence the wheelchair do I just try to get my high rate back this way?? I've no written evidence so where do I get it from? I've no home help eg O.T I've just my doc... 
Thank you so much for reading n if u reply also for my waffling long speech xx

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Heather1964

I think that assessment companies are now deliberately choosing venues where more than 20m walking is required. But people are allowed to walk farther than 20m if they are struggling because of pain, stiffness, instability or fatigue.

You can appeal late if you have a good reason.  Ask Scope helpline how to do this.  If you can't appeal you can reapply for PIP.  Disabilty Rights (DR) site has a good guide to all aspects of PIP.  Plus they publish a Handbook about all aspects of all benefits, price £15 from DR site.

That you need to use a wheelchair will be strong evidence that you cannot walk more than 20m.
  • teetee
    teetee Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Heather isn't it a nightmare. I am going through hell trying to appeal. I have a neurological condition and was on dla middle rate care low rate mobility. The pip have took all care and give me just mobility. I need the care and no one will listen.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Heather1964, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent ordeal, and especially the effect it had on you. Just to clarify, have you begun the appeals process? Scope have some great advice on appealing a DWP decision that you may like to read, and do let us know if you have any questions going forwards.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.