Government has "new plans to transform disability employment" — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Government has "new plans to transform disability employment"

Markmywords
Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
edited November 2017 in Research and opportunities
The government has announced a plan to get more disabled people into work.

Measures include;
  1. Extending fit note certification beyond GPs
  2. Conducting large-scale employment research pilots
  3. An enhanced training offer developed with a national mental health charity.
  4. Double the number of employment advisors in an existing NHS programme
  5. Appointing an Expert Working Group

So the message is that if a disabled person can't get a job it's because they aren't good enough to get one.

No doubt, it is too much to expect these new tax funded roles will go to disabled people.

The PM said "I am committed to tackling the injustices facing disabled people who want to work, so that everyone can go as far as their talents will take them."

I don't think "injustice" means the same to her as it does to disabled people.

The BBC has an article on it. In typical BBC style it isn't interested in the truth but just in reporting all the sides of an argument equally. A real disabled person does point out though that employers are largely unwilling to consider hiring disabled people.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello@Markmywords Thank you for this.  I saw this this morning on the news and on web.  Here we go again another load of schemes to get all of us in our community back to work.  I agree entirely with your comments.  I also must point out the big worry is this criteria extending beyond the control of GPs.  So in my case being declared fit to work yet my GP says not fit to work.  Then I would get help with my condition and hope and pray will find a employment through advisors.  Unfortunately this sounds all too familiar.  Been there one of the issues is that when they the powers that be declared me fit.  There were no disabled employment advisors government cut them .  Also passed around Jobcentre plus had ten advisors in the spate of six months.  I have memory problems and wished for some one to understand my issues and yet I was being passed around.  Please can I add had a charity called Shaw Trust who I was going to assist me in work.  Problem was could not help.  Lovely lady unfortunately my mental state and disability not good and they felt would need about a year to sort me out.  Another issue had large gaps in CV and had no memory and knowledge of what I had done work wise and qualifications.  Remember I am  fifties this being last year and last qualification about twenty or more years ago.  So how are these schemes going to assist me if I fail again next assessment.  Thought long and hard about this and looking what they the government going to do.  Why not create a jobcentre for disabled run by the disabled.  I can see training staff in the jobcentre being useful but they have so many people who and where is the time.  Please be aware all of this is over ten years ten years too late.  A report recently quoted all the missed opportunities for helping our community so why would any of the proposals work.  I recall schemes by successive governments all running out of money.  I will wait and see but I believe in my faith but I not miracles.  My thoughts are for those who are stuck in the rut in the jobcentre and are disabled with no hope and endless schemes and false promises.  Please also one final point I wanted to work always but with the attitude of employers staff and jobcentres and others.  I am now of the believe that it is killing me finding work and all the wasted times, missed employment chances the opportunities are of the state now just weary and so tired of being treated as a low life and something on your shoe that needs to be removed.  I feel better not being part of this and the soul destroying.  One final final point I shudder and get panics when the brown envelopes drop through the door because I fear I will have to sign on again.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Markmywords
    Atos and Capita writing fit notes so as to bypass GP's ?

Who knew it was those damned GP's holding tens of thousands of disabled people back from achieving their destinies?

Yes, it all looks like window dressing to distract from the one true objective of contradicting sick notes and cancelling benefits.

Not one new vacancy will be opened up by all this talking and "training."

A dark storm is brewing.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    How is this going to work? Whilst employers are required to make reasonable adjustments, some of us do need adjustments that are unreasonable. I'm not too sure that my boss will be too impressed with me phoning up two-three times a week because I've got another migraine or because I'm too tired.
  • Markmywords
    Most of this seems to be aimed at those with mental health illnesses who have worked but are off sick.

There is no mention of any changes being required of employers. No mention of monitoring nor of any responsibilities.

There is mention of "Work Coaches" working with those with mental health conditions. That is just plain scary.

Then there is this "Disability Confident" scheme. It sounds like nothing more than another badge to put on headed stationery just as the now commercially operated "Investors in People" scheme. Vague, subjective aspirations that cannot be measured.

Expect those on benefits due to mental ill-health to have their benefits effectively cancelled by commercially operated "health care professionals" declaring them fit to work.

I hope the government is busy elsewhere with Brexit (sorry) and having no majority. The other parties have their own shortcomings too.
  • thespiceman
    Hello@Markmywords My major concern is that the shortfall in funding for all these projects.  As you said window dressing.  I have found out on another website that the government has underpaid claiments by a staggering £500 million and are seeking those now.  Good god what a sham and when are and how is this going to exactly work then.  I ran a business if the sums do not work then it can not succeed.  My other issue and I apologise if I bang on about this is the forgotten disabled who have been signing on for a lifetime.  Met a group of lads on course some years ago.  Had learning differculties and had been on this course constantly for months.  I remember all lived at home and parents were carers.  Had problems with literacy and other social problems.  My heart went out every day and tried to support and gave my time to understand.  The issue I have who is going to employ them.  I recall a assessor turned up one day to a health and safety bit of the course gave half the answers.  I asked later why did you do that because those lads will not pass.  How are they going to get a job he replied you tell me.  Also met a load of people around my age who were part of training company sent by jobcentre after couple months.  Told you sign on with jobcentre but the training company and any issues and problems contact training company.  Tried many times for help assistance failed.  Had just one contact.  Another passing the buck scheme.  Ended up had a interview with staff member of this training company.  I am sorry can not recall name.  Asked why am I here?  Looked at everything and said will help in assisting you in doing appeal and mand rec.  As they call it.  So they do not want me anyway.  I can see this happening again.  I was one of hundreds on their books.  All like me.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Nystagmite You said employers make reasonable adjustments the thing is all employers will not comply.  One of the main issues for an employer is health of workers.  I have a friend who works in the addiction centre and his case load is too high and stress is soul destroying.  I have myself get asked the work you might be doing is to deadlines and pressure.  I have stated well then two people could do job instead of one.  I feel that you think employers are going to take action if you fail to turn up for work because of illness then you will be right.  Speaking personally this has happened to me.  All the laws in the land can not and will not help any disabled in a job.  That is my opinion.  Employers recently were scrutinised over mental health issues in the media.  I feel that many employers know and will use any excuse to mistreat disabled.  I am one.  Employers have a duty to maintain welfare of employees by law but remember this is business and profits come first.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I really want to know what this "help" will be. I remember when I was on the work programme, I had to beg for things to be put into large print. I was then diagnosed with some health problems, which I was told couldn't be that bad because I'd just been diagnosed with them. You can go to bed (as I did) and wake up with one of them.

I was constantly labelled as awkward because I wouldn't (read: couldn't) do certain things.
  • thespiceman
    Hello@ Nystagmite I do not know what help is available all I need as I said another load of schemes like what is being offered.  I am sorry.  I know that there is going to a load of problems and no solutions.  Everybody knows this through the latest assessments and benefits.  Which we all are suffering from.  I have worked in government departments and it is still the same.  A lot of words and promises that do not hold up.  We all of us know it is the same story.  All I wish and hope and pray that there will be one day a magic wand and someone from a government dept steps up puts his or her neck on the line and starts to change things.  The guy in the headlights at the minute Damian Green who was minister Work and Pensions stated when knowning about people who had long term chronic conditions.  Stated no point sending them every eighteen months for reassessment still be ill in that time.  Great some action guess what massive U turn so what do you expect.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Seems like getting all those disabled workers is responsibile for the economy being sluggish.

At first, he responded saying that high levels of unemployment, particularly youth unemployment, “will be felt for many many years to come”.

He then added: “It is almost certainly the case that by increasing participation in the workforce, including far higher levels of participation by marginal groups and very high levels of engagement in the workforce, for example of disabled people – something we should be extremely proud of – may have had an impact on overall productivity measurements.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/07/philip-hammond-causes-storm-with-remarks-about-disabled-workers

I can see how this will encourage employers to take on disabled people - not.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Markmywords
    When did those "far higher levels of participation" happen? I seem to have missed it.

Of course the Chancellor would never point the finger to distract attention from wages being so low that people are cheaper than automation. That would put us where China was 25 years ago.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.