Hi, my name is paddler69! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is paddler69!

Options
paddler69
paddler69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm enquring about  my mother who was recently widowed and is fiercely independant despite suffering form intersitial lung disease (she has an oxygen enriching machine), failing sight (macular degeneration, cataracts and glaucoma-she is regisered with the local Blind instiute) severe arthritus and vertigo, tinitus, back pain and limited mobility. She has refused to claim any allowances up til now, apart from £50 per month from the Blind institute, but she has had several falls recently and was laying on the floor til my brother(her normal carer) called round.  We have persuaded her that because of her falls and difficulty getting dressed we will get some help for her, probably twice a day, in the morning to help her get washed and dressed and a secong visit to check she is OK and run any errands for her.  Mum only has the state pension, £50 per month from the blind institute, and I think a tiny pension from my faters last employer.  THe carers will cost about £15 per hour, and we are seeking financing for this. My mother is 91, I am 69 (70 in March when Mum will be 92) and my brother is 66 but still working. We have heared many hprror stories about getting finace and are worried that this may cause stress for Mum who is very frail, and really wants to live independantly.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Philip

Comments

Brightness