Isolated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Isolated

Options
I’m 33 wheelchair bound, diagnosed with autoimmune kidney disease, high blood pressure, angina, abnormal heart rhythm, diabetes, spinal disc disease, and epilepsy. I moved into a bungalow earlier this year. I have lost all my friend due to my health problems they have all stopped talking to me and ignore my messages and phone calls. I have no visitors other than my mum who is my full time carer. I haven’t seen any of my friends for years I have been isolated and I’m dreading Christmas

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    Options
    God bless you and all of us x
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hello @Louisemariedavies000 I am so sorry that you feel isolated.  I understand this and so do lot of us.  I am in a similar situation.  Only communication with the fantastic people on this forum.  Please can I add I am the same about Christmas.  Please take care and I hope and pray you will find peace and solace and comfort being on this forum.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    Know what you mean disability robs us of friendships, i phone people, very few answer, am i ever invited out? No, i too am lonely, although i live with my parents.
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Louisemariedavies000. I know the feeling. Even though I get out to social groups, I find nobody of my age group makes the effort to contact me or invite me out to an event outside that group. Having a disability really sorts out who your true friends are. If you can’t really get out much is there not some sort of telephone support group line that you could join? Examples I know there is Chilfline aimed at children and Silverline aimed at pensioners. Or maybe some sort of befriending service with a home visit?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Neil2017 Thanks for writing about isolation.  I have just read a piece on the web about being lonely.  It is a national crisis.  I agree about what say about social groups.  I am the same never find anybody my age group.  Last social group I was part of a mental health charity.  All women hardly ever any men.  Most yes around my age but the women don't exactly want to discuss male related themes.  More like shoes and handbags and the latest story line in the soaps.  I cant see them discussing the offside rule, last nights match etc.  I know you quoted about befriending service.  I know most area have some form of this service.  Problem is the usual funding.  I know this because I tried to find some thing similar.  Unfortunately in my area there is either a long waiting list or service is limited to various groups.    I hope you find what you are looking for.  I know contacting this organisation might help.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Louisemariedavies000

A very very big welcome to you this evening.

Please please don’t feel isolated anymore.

We are your new family & friends.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with ?????

Brightness