diagnosed with copd — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

diagnosed with copd

boydie
boydie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
i was diagnosed with copd 12 month ago cant believe how seriously my life as gone downhill feel like worse mum ever as can no longer enjoy running round playing games with my kids

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @boydie

Good Evening & Welcome.

It’s great to meet you today.

Please please let me know if I can offer you some help/advice ???????
  • Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hi @boydie
    I'm so sorry you've been through so much and that you feel bad about yourself too.
    As a mum myself, I've felt upset about my situation as well.  It can be frustrating when you feel your disability is holding you back.  
    There's many others on this page who have felt the same and I do hope you'll find support here.  
    Maybe you could check out the forum listings for topics and discussions around parenting whilst being disabled?  
    I'm sure you're an amazing mum, try not to beat yourself up for something that isn't your fault.

Looking forward to seeing your posts and if you have any questions, just ask.  :)

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello boydie and welcome

The most important thing you can do for your kids is to look after yourself.
    You need to know your limitations and when to rest. It is very easy to push things just a little to far, I know having just come out of hospital for the third time this year. There are breathing techniques that can help as well as positions to sit/stand that help recovery.

Do you have access to a local respiratory team ?

Unless you live with COPD it can be difficult to understand how a simple thing like breathing can become so difficult, the use of a small battery operated fan can give some relief

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @boydie welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I understand the worries as a parent, but being a great parent isnt about running about playing games, we can be great parents in different ways.

I wrote a post recently about worrying about my kids being young carers that you might like to read?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness