Partner been told he is fit to work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Partner been told he is fit to work

Options
joyann
joyann Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My partner had a heart attack and a quad bypass in Dec 2013. He went back to work for a while but found it too heavy and due to shoulder and back pains was put on to ESA. He then had to attend an assessment and was told he was fit to work. He contacted unemployment only to be told that due to all his health restrictions they couldn't help him find a job, and because he is 63 and has already paid enough insurance stamp for his old age pension they would not even pay his stamp. They even advised him to try and get some light cash in hand work! We have tried tax credits, pip, council tax rebate and been rejected for all of them. I work full time but on minimum wage and am expected to keep both of us. We know of at least 2 other people in the same age group that are in the same position. We would welcome any advise as to where we could get some help, and be interested to know how many other people are in this "black hole" with us. He isn't on any government stats because he's not on sick, not unemployed not on pension or employed. Don't think they even know he exists any more. We find the situation very frustrating.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @joyann

Good Evening & Welcome.

I’m so sorry that you find yourself in a right pickle.

Have you got a local CAB office????

You can also give our helpline a call & they would be more than happy in helping/supporting you.

Tel:
    0808 800 3333

Email: helpline@scope.org.uk

Please please let me know if I can help/support you further?????

• joyann
    Options
    Hi. Thank you for advise. We have tried CAB. They have told us we are not eligible to claim for any help/ benefits. I work full time and, as we are living as a couple, we have been told I'm expected to keep both of us. We have both worked and paid tax and national insurance all our lives and now feel let down by the "system". 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @joyann

I’m so sorry that the CAB wasn’t off any help!!!!!!

Have you tried our online “benefits calculator”

Please please let me know if I can help you with it ????
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @joyann
    Welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear about your struggles.

It might be good for you to have a chat with the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333.

@Debbie_Scope do you have any ideas?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • joyann
    Options
    As my original post stated, we have been told we don't qualify for any help/benefits. I am 61 and work 37 and half hours a week on a low wage but according to all the benefits offices, I earn enough to kept both of us and will be expected to carry on until he draws his government pension in 3 years time. After paying into the system for over 45 years he should be able to claim as an individual. A school leaver gets basic unemployment. I would like to know how many other people are in the same situation but there would be no stats because they don't appear on any lists. If he was 6 not 60 would I get help and be able to c!aim for a dependant? Isn't my partner a dependent at the moment? 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @joyann,

When your partner received the fit for work decision, did he appeal the decision? If he didn't ask for a mandatory reconsideration or appeal to the tribunal, it might not be too late to appeal depending on when the decision was made. It's all very technical.

I need to get an idea of the time line involved. When did your partner go back to work, how long did he work for and when did he start his ESA claim? 

When he was on ESA was he getting contributory ESA? How long passed between starting the claim and having the assessment.

I'm really sorry for all the questions. There will probably be more. If you don't want to share this information in public please send me a private message or email me at helpline@scope.org.uk. 

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • joyann
    Options
    Hi Debbie, no he did appeal the decision. He went back to work June 2014 self employed but then started work with a heating company in Feb 2016. He became ill end of Nov 2016 and was paid sick pay by the company until Feb 2017. He applied for ESA 20th February and they paid his insurance employment stamp until 31st  August 2017. He did not receive any ESA benefit, only his insurance stamp was paid because they said he hadn't paid enough contributions the previous tax year. . The health assessment was 31st May 2017.  Thank you for trying to help, if you need any more  information let me know. Joy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.