Charity event when disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Charity event when disabled

Options
KelvinUKk1
KelvinUKk1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi people,

I am a double stroke survivor of nearly 8 years and get full mobility allowance and reduced care allowance. One of my, many, disabilities is walking. I do this with a cane, after relearning how to walk. I take regular rests when walking, due to pain and balance. However, I would love to take part in a charity fund raiser, but am seriously concerned that this might affect my claim. Will it?

Comments

• Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    Hiya @KelvinUKk1
    Firstly, welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy looking around the site, joining in, finding support and meeting new people.  :)
    As regards how a charity fund raising campaign would affect your benefits, I'm afraid I'm no expert.  Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to advise you.
    I'd imagine how you go about the fund raising is important though.  If your claim is partly based on your problems around walking, I'd not do a sponsored hike up a mountain for example.  
    If you choose a challenge that doesn't involve have a physical aspect to it, I'd imagine you'd be ok - although you'd need to check with someone more knowledgeable than me.  
    If you need ideas about what kind of campaign you could do, feel free to ask on the forum.  I'm sure there's some fabulous ideas out there.
    Anyway, I hope that helps a little.  :)

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @KelvinUKk1, this is very good question? I never come across such ? yet.
    Logically thinking I do not see  any reason why you could not do it. You do not have to walk, bicycle . I think there is another ways of fund-raising money too.
    You can paint and sell paintings, sing songs etc something related to your hobby (according to your ability). If I  would know your story better I could suggest more but I would circle around your hobby and passion of life. 

@BenefitsTrainingCo please advise
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Kelvin and welcome

As a one off event it is unlikely to affect your claim.
    However be prepared to explain how you managed what it is you decide to do. A condition needs to affect you for the majority of time, so if one day of the year you can run a marathon but then take three months to recover you should be ok .

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @KelvinUKk1

I think it depends on exactly what you will need to do to take part in the fund-raiser and how it affects you.

Although what CR is right, that a one-off may not affect your overall claim, it can be taken as an indication of things which a claimant could do should they choose to. So there needs to be a strong understanding of why, if you are able to do X for this fund-raiser, why you can't do X the majority of the time (on the basis that perhaps the majority of the people claiming benefit could not do X at all even as a one off).

As CR correctly says, this is just something that you need to have an understanding of, and be prepared to explain if required.

Can I give you a guarantee this won't affect your claim though? No unfortunately not.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Mary from @BenefitsTrainingCo, thank you so much for replaying back. I was waiting to see what you will replay here. I never come across similar question at all before. But it explain lots to me too. 
    I can say I learnt something new today. 
    Thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.