Underpayment of ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Underpayment of ESA

JH68
JH68 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
It was reported on the news that thousands of people who were transferred from incapacity benefit to ESA have been underpaid and will be reimbursed, but then it's all gone quiet. Anybody know what's happening? Is there any way to find out whether you are one of the ones who were underpaid. (I am not disabled but I am the benefits appointee for a disabled person in receipt of ESA.

Comments

• Dory2
    Dory2 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello, I had to go to the bank today and I have only been paid £10 of my esa this month, luckily I was able to have an overdraft on my account which has caught the shortfall, what do I do. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Ring the DWP to find out what has happened.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Dory2
    Dory2 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you CR I will. 
  • Nikkibee
    Nikkibee Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've worked out I was underpaid ESA for a year from 2013-2014 but unfortunately the court have ruled the dwp will only backdate underpayments to October 2014 which means amongst many others thats money we will never see! How can this be fair? 
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    JH68 said:
    It was reported on the news that thousands of people who were transferred from incapacity benefit to ESA have been underpaid and will be reimbursed, but then it's all gone quiet. Anybody know what's happening? Is there any way to find out whether you are one of the ones who were underpaid. (I am not disabled but I am the benefits appointee for a disabled person in receipt of ESA.
    They have said in the GUARDIAN today they have started paying but could take up to next year 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Nikkibee said:
    I've worked out I was underpaid ESA for a year from 2013-2014 but unfortunately the court have ruled the dwp will only backdate underpayments to October 2014 which means amongst many others thats money we will never see! How can this be fair? 
    Because they know the system better than us and knew if they kept quiet it would be from the court date. 

It shouldn't take from 2014 to 2019, that's five years!!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.