Like-minded(disabled)people — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Like-minded(disabled)people

Han
Han Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
Hi there

I'm Hannah and I'm 26 years old. I have mild CP and I'd like to find other young adults to talk too. 

Hope to hear from someone :smile:

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi @Han

Welcome to the community. I consider myself open minded person. I do not suffer from CP however,  I have invisible disability of Trigeminal Neurophatic Facial Pain.
    I like reading, craft and love cycling. What interest do you have? 

• secondbee
    secondbee Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi @Han and @iza

I am in my early thirties (hope that isn’t too old!) and would also like to meet more people with an understanding of disability, even if they don’t have my exact combination or even any of my conditions.

I also love to read. On my best days I enjoy cooking. On less good days I play video games, and I’m training my dog to be my assistance dog. This does mean I’m heavily on the side of team dog, but I don’t dislike cats. 
  • Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hi @secondbee
    Firstly thanks for joining us!
    I'm 42 so am definitely not a young person (although I'm about 21 in my head).
    I don't have Cerebral Palsy, but I do have issues with auti-immune disease.
    How's the assistance training going along?  I have a German Shepherd but he mostly just shakes paws, barks for attention and rattles his food bowl when he wants feeding.  It must take a lot of dedication to train a dog to assistance dog standards.
    I adore dogs. I think they're such great companions, they're always pleased to see us and always make me smile.  

Hiya @Han_
    How're you?  Are you enjoying looking around the forums?  There's loads going on here and I'm sure you'll meet other like minded disabled people.  It's a friendly group and people are always happy to chat.  :)

• secondbee
    @Chaoskay Training was on hold a bit this week. He mostly needs to learn to walk on a loose lead, and the snow has gotten in the way a tad. We worked on getting him to put things in the bin instead and he's pretty good at that. He can use the same skill to learn to put his toys away, and to unload the washing machine. We also practiced "pick up this one" with the pointer stick. I'm so proud of my boy. He's learning so quickly I can hardly keep up. You may be able to tell he's a favoured topic 
  • Chaoskay
    @secondbee Don't worry about it, honestly I can go on for ages about dogs.  I like people but I LOVE dogs.  :)  What kind of dog do you have and what are they called?
    I'm so impressed with how much you've taught already.  
    I have to confess I have a cat, two chickens, one Cockerell and a house spider in the bathroom that we call Bob.  But I'm definitely Team Dog though.  :)
    I bet there's others on here with assistance dogs, it might be worth starting a post somewhere in here so you can share tips.    
    Anyway, lovely to meet you and I'm always happy to meet new people. :)

• secondbee
    @Chaoskay funny you should say that, my second post when I joined this evening is in the reasons to be cheerful board and has a picture of my labrador
  • Chaoskay
    I really do have a soft spot for labradors.  We had them when I was a kid.  They're gentle, intelligent, cuddly food hoovers.  :)
    I'll bob over there now and have a look.  
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am not young, do not have CP and probably don't qualify for what you are seeking in any way shape of form, lol!

Welcome.

:smile: 

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Dexterp91
    Dexterp91 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hey there, I'm Dexter, I'm 26 and have Cerebral Palsy :)
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Hi @Han
    i am neither young nor have Ceberal Palsy. But as a fairly new member on these forums, it seems a very friendly, helpful and welcoming place.
    best of luck finding some other fellow people with CP.
  • Han
    Han Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Hello everyone, thank you for your replies. I've been busy with having the flu! So apologies for not responding until now
  • DylanEvans
    DylanEvans Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    edited January 2018
    Hi @Han and all. I'm 22 and have CP. Always eager to meet others staring into the abyss of adulthood with CP (mostly exaggerating for effect).
  • belle46
    belle46 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi everybody I’m Belle. I’m a real newbie on here I’m also not young (63)!  I have MS and am tetraplegic .  I’m really interested in assistance dogs, I’m thinking about what level they can be trained to assist.  I love labs too.  Hope you are all feeling as well as you can be today

Brightness