Esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa

Options
Lisa_w
Lisa_w Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,hope fully I can type this without crying, my esa claim started in March of this year,had my capabilities assessment 3 weeks ago (yep 3 weeks ago) so I call them ànd ask what's the hold up? I'm desperate I've been trying to live on £73:10 Pw since March!  I was told that all ESA claims are being stockpiled until 2nd Jan! !!! So I email my local MP they then emailed the DWP ànd the answer was : they would only consider my file if it was under exceptional circumstances! !!!! So no Christmas for me this year !! 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oh that must be so difficult for your @Lisa_w   :(
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Lisa_w: I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with this. You are definitely not alone in having to cope with DWP delays. It's good that you have had some action from your MP, and that the DWP has at least replied. The DWP has a broad spectrum of responsibilities to people who are ill, vulnerable or who have complex needs. Have they given you any idea of what they consider constitute 'exceptional circumstances'? Is it possible that you could be considered as having 'exceptional circumstances'? If their poor administration is leaving you at risk of harm, a deterioration in your health, homelessness, hospitalisation or any other damaging outcome, and you can get some kind of third party evidence to back this up, then I think it might be worth going back to your MP for further assistance under these exceptional circumstances conditions, arguing that the DWP are failing in their responsibilities to safeguard you. You may also be able to get some support from a local advice agency who could put some pressure on...call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 for more information about agencies which are in your area. Good luck, and I hope you get a speedy decision.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.