Christmas Tips and Tricks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Tips and Tricks

Options
Pippa_Alumni
Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2017 in Coffee lounge

Following on from last week’s discussion about Christmas Traditions, this week we’d love to hear about your tips and advice for making the most of the festive season. Do you have any tricks to share with the Online Community?

One life hack I’ve discovered recently that’s been helping me is touch screen gloves. If you have poor circulation and really feel the cold, you might also know the struggle of wearing gloves in the house but having to take them off every time you want to use a touch screen. However, with the special touch screen gloves, you don’t have to bother taking them off to use your devices!  

Comments

• Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    A friend of mine says she always gets a Xmas jigsaw which she sets up on a table through the Xmas week.  I keep meaning to do it, but space is an issue.
    It sounds like a lovely relaxed way to get the family to spend a bit of time together every now and then, working on something as a joint project. 
    Christmas can all get a bit manic, I love this idea because it encourages people to slow down and chat for a bit.  It's a nice activity if you're not very mobile too and makes a change to watching James Bond repeats on the TV.  :)

• Chaoskay
    Options
    @lisalouise999
    Hope you don't mind the tag.  I just spotted your post earlier and thought you might like to follow this thread for tips on how to enjoy Christmas, even when it might seem you're missing out because of disabilities.  :)
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @PippaScope and @Chaoskay and any other followers of this post.
    Some fascinating tips for Christmas. I did not know touch screen gloves existed. And doing a jigsaw puzzle sounds like a good alternative to board games

i am going to suggest if you’re on a limited budget to go to either go to your local library to borrow or rent DVDs. Or going to a discount store like Poundland or maybe even Scope shops to get relatively cheap DVDs as unless you are a soap fan or like James Bond repeats there probably isn’t going to be an awful lot on television over Xmas. Either that or switch to the radio.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I LOVE pinterest for getting new and different ideas for christmas decorations, food, baking and games.  You can find lots of cheap and easy instructions for crafting. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    Also just to add that Primark have touch screen gloves at the minute, two pairs for £2!! I just bought them for my kids!!
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello everybody I just thought number one tip for myself is to plan ahead.  I do this all year but with the shops being crowded and not easy to shop.  Always plan meals even things like vegetables can be pre blanched and frozen.  My favourite soup in zip bags.  Any vegetable combination.  Favourite at minute Celeriac and Leek and Onion.  I know it is getting colder.  Remember having one or two veggie dishes pads out the freezer and the fridge.  Makes your money go further.  Also shop what you need.  Items like bread can be frozen in slices of two.  I use tin foil better than plastic wrap and label it.  I use tin foil for all meat and fish.  Simply defrost in tin foil in fridge.  Have stores of your favourite pulses and dried pasta.  Can help with padding out a meal.  Instead of potatoes or rice.  Also remember items like cheese can be grated and then popped in to zip bags and frozen.  From frozen on to cheese on toast or top baked potatoes.  Helps with waste.  Always had left overs like cheese and vegetables this is what I do.  I know it is a struggle at this time for everyone.  The spiralling costs of Christmas.  I hope this helps any body.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Roland
    Roland Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Chaoskay said:
    A friend of mine says she always gets a Xmas jigsaw which she sets up on a table through the Xmas week.  I keep meaning to do it, but space is an issue.
    It sounds like a lovely relaxed way to get the family to spend a bit of time together every now and then, working on something as a joint project. 
    Christmas can all get a bit manic, I love this idea because it encourages people to slow down and chat for a bit.  It's a nice activity if you're not very mobile too and makes a change to watching James Bond repeats on the TV.  :)

@Chaoskay I have seen 'jigsaw carriers', kind of like an artist's portfolio case, which keeps the jigsaw pieces in place, you can then do it on your knees, zip it up and take it away and removes the need for a table.  i have seen them ocassionally in charity shops...
  • Roland
    Roland Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options

Following on from last week’s discussion about Christmas Traditions, this week we’d love to hear about your tips and advice for making the most of the festive season. Do you have any tricks to share with the Online Community?

One life hack I’ve discovered recently that’s been helping me is touch screen gloves. If you have poor circulation and really feel the cold, you might also know the struggle of wearing gloves in the house but having to take them off every time you want to use a touch screen. However, with the special touch screen gloves, you don’t have to bother taking them off to use your devices!  

The noise, excitement and confusion of christmas can be overwhelming for some with neuro diverse conditions.  Make sure that you have a 'safe space' where you can go and not be disturbed when it all gets too much
  • Chaoskay
    Options
    @Roland
    That's a brilliant idea, that'd help with the space issue.  I'll have to keep an eye out.  
    Thanks.  :)
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello everybody another really useful tip to beat stress is to find your favourite items that you turn to for comfort.  Put them in a safe place and use them.  Items like feel good poems, books, CD anything to help stress.  Especially this time of year.  I have a selection of CDs that ease stress.  Also tune in to alternative radio stations either on line or DAB. Found new ones this week not playing hardly any C word music in fact very little.  I have a selection of crosswords and arrowwords books to while away time.  As TV is for all Cword   Another one is to compile a quiz instead of TV.  I hope any suggestions are useful
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    I hate food waste and one thing I do in the days following christmas is a leftovers loaf.

I use a bread loaf tin and layer up leftover veg and meat with layers of cheese.  Then bake in the oven, turn it out and slice for a really lovely meal, snack or addition to the buffet table!!
    Scope
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @thespiceman
    some interesting ideas
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello everybody thank you for comments much appreciated.  My kitchen oven does not work so have to use hob.  Also use I forgot to say slow cookers.  Got two small one for soup and small meals. Medium sized one for bulk meal recipes and larger sorts of meals.  Useful all times of year but especially this time.  Eases stress in kitchen.  I have to be inventive and use recipes from the Med and of course they are a lot of them simple to cook.  It is not really cooking although heat is applied all ideas mainly one pot and less is more as they say.  I suggested for those ringing the changes have Fish on Christmas day instead of Turkey or Chicken.  I say Fish because it is simple to cook.  Also we started having Fish on Christmas Day before Turkey.  I believe came with Prince Albert Queen Victoria's Husband.  As so many of our Christmas Inventions.  I always have Salmon or Trout.  No stress in Kitchen.  I do it Italian style.  Just an idea.  Hope that interests anybody.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    I thought I would revive this great post from last year! 

Do you have any other christmas tips and tricks to share?
    Scope

Brightness