Can I claim carers premium in housing benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim carers premium in housing benefit?

Claire77
Claire77 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my son receives DLA, I do not claim carers allowance as I'm a student. However, I'm still his carer. I am a single parent. Can I claim carers premium within the housing benefit or not as I don't get the allowance? 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    I'm afraid not Claire77.

You can only get the carer premium if you claim and meet the conditions for CA. The only exception is people who don't get CA because they get another benefit (usually retirement pension). They can still get the premium, because they meet all the conditions.

Sorry about this. Universal credit has different rules about the carer element (as the carer premium called in UC), but I'd be really reluctant to claim Universal Credit as overall it is often less money and a lot more hassle, and it isn't available in every area.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.