looking forward to the future — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

looking forward to the future

Options
Welsh_chatter
Welsh_chatter Community member Posts: 12 Connected
I use to volunteer at a respite centre that supported adults with a physical disability in my holidays and sadly it closed down several years ago
have done a little volunteering since but  not done any regular volunteering for a while (due to work commitments not matching up with my days off}
I did make a enquiry last week about volunteering at a centre that supports adults with a physical disability that works around my days off work so hopefully once everything is complete I be back doing volunteering work soon which I love xx

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    That is great , I wish there were more like you

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Welsh_chatter
    Options
    Its very rewarding has the people I have supported appreciate the support that we all need 
  • Welsh_chatter
    Options
    The hardest about volunteering and supporting people is finding a suitable opportunity 
    Been looking for a while and nothing happening 
    Maybe in the new year lol
    Ps I work shift work and have different days off each week 
    Would like to support people in a centre or maybe give family a little respite break 
    I got no qualifications but plenty of support experience  
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Welsh_chatter

I also volunteer on an ad-hoc basis for Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) helping blind and partially sighted people setting up or changing computer equipment. Am also looking perhaps to expand on this and do more volunteering maybe next year in 2018.

It can be rewarding when you get something fixed eg I managed to reinstall Windows the other day. Not easy when you’re visually impaired and there is no magnification in setup!
  • Welsh_chatter
    Options
    Hopefully I start a little volunteering next year which could involve helping out with activities within the centre or maybe driving a person with their support staff to the local shops ,cinema , ect 
    It' Not much but will be rewarding knowing the people appreciate the support I give x 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I used to attend a disability centre and they were always short of support staff. As it was run as a charity there was obviously little in the budget for even covering travel costs. It's nice to hear someone who wants to work in such places. They did have a policy of taking on people who were forced to do Community Service although very few passed the suitability tests the used.

Under my current circumstances I intend to start going to the centre again. I am a little worried though as it has been almost 3 years since I spent time there other than the occasional times I dropped in to see old friends.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Welsh_chatter
    Options
    At 1 time I use to start work around 4pm so around 3 times a week I use to travel by train (20 min ride) to a sn school and help out with lunch time activities 
    First half of break was supporting 3 students with aac (electronic communications device)
    Either go on YouTube or write a e-mail, play a game of football,bocia ect 
    2nd half was supporting the main school and some of the students had profound disabilities and using sensory equipment the children generally enjoyed 
    Just seeing a smile from them made me think I'm doing something good 
    Unfortunately my hours changed at work and unable to carry on :( 
    Just helped a little but so rewarding seeing people doing what they like to do which many people take has granted 

Brightness