Fuel payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fuel payment

Leggy
Leggy Community member Posts: 18 Listener
hi I’m in receipt of DLA just wanting to know can I get any help with my heating bills winter fuel payments I’m on high DLA. Really struggling at the moment can’t get out at this time. Upsets me when I hear others saying they are using fuel payment which to me is a lot of money. Spending it on Xmas. Just my opinion.Im really worrying how much my bills will be .

Comments

• anixous2017
    anixous2017 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Winter fuel you have to be £65 but you you can get warm home front of £140 with other certain benefits if you are on pension credit or as a you automatically qualiy . But again this depends on your supplier I am with N power. Who are you with I will tell you what to do.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    There's also the £25 paid by DWP if you receive certain benefits and the weather is below 0c for 7 days.
  • anixous2017
    That' right forgot that one , 
  • Leggy
    Leggy Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Thank you both for information I’m with green star. Wonder if I qualify.
  • anixous2017
    No you need to be with big five, but you can always ask .
  • sarah124
    sarah124 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    my 20 year son lives with me, he get DLA middle rate is there any help for heating bills if he just has a middle rate?
  • anixous2017
    You shuld get warm home front but again it is down to your supplier has to be one of the big 5.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Leggy I would please advise go on to the web.  Have a look around.  I wrote a piece on why Utilities so Complicated.  I am sure that you must understand you have to ask for these things.  All companies should tell you but they do not.  My bill at the minute recent one says I pay around £30 for gas and electric.  Marvellous OK great but what they do not tell you that the usage is for both is more like around £140.  Guess what in debt.  So that is the policy of these companies get you in to debt.  Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is how they make massive profits.  I have changed many times and do believe the way to go is a smart meter.  I feel the cold have to turn off heating have it on in morning up to lunch time then off all to about 3pm or 4pm.  Just put it on night time for a few hours.  I do not get the policies of these companies but just recently started to.  If you apply for warm front grant by the way.  Many companies start about middle summer for applications and some times will close down application dates around September.  I have to warn you also companies want you to stay will charge excessive leaving fees.  Here is the point my company I have now give them meter reading on the web every month.  Send me bill estimate is so and so.  Hang on I send you reading every month you should calculate bill to the nearest dot.  How wrong am I.  Point two I one said why not we as consumers pay thirty days then end of month you send bill and calculate usage and then we pay.  Is that what any company or service would do.  Do understand why not.  Energy advisor I once knew told me all utilities buy gas and electric when price is low on the market and then bump up the price to consumers.  I hope you understand what is going on.  I have been so aware what is happening in our energy companies the last few years.  Best wishes and I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The warm homes discount has to be applied for if you are do not get the guaranteed credit element of pension credit. You might qualify if on a low income, however most schemes open and are filled very quickly in the autumn. to find if your supplier offers this

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

If you do get into debt with your energy usage, you might find this usefull

http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/uploads/A SHARED PROGRAMME OF GIVING - BGET website.pdf

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    Hello @CockneyRebel Thank you for information.  I was making the point that all these utilities should have a duty of care to their customers.  In the several blogs I written.  One should be aware of what is going on.  Only recent information I found out they are about over 40 companies supplying gas and electric.  Even some supermarkets are doing gas and electric.  I can see their incentives for customers to join.  I hope you OK and as always thank you.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I never got any help when I was on ESA apart from a £10 amount from the ESA people themselves for Xmas. Not that £10 is likely to make it a good Xmas but every little helps I suppose. I never got any help with the heating nor did  anyone tell me I might qualify.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to all who are missing out on the warm front £140. You have to be claiming certain benefits and apply and reapply each year. You have have to be proactive in claiming. Ask and you shall receive hopefully, it's the big companies that offer this so bear in mind when and if you switch supplier if they offer a lower monthly rate remain the same, better to be in credit than debt.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    @thespiceman if you enter into a fixed price tarrif there is often an exit fee, though this should not apply if within the last 49 days of the deal ending.

There are a few which do not apply exit fees, but it is always worth checking when your current deal ends and if an exit fee applies. 

Regarding the other point you made regarding giving meter reading and getting estimate bills. If you are paying your bills as you receive them then yes I would agree that they should be actuals if readings are given. If you are paying monthly then you are paying an estimated bill based on previous usage, so this is an estimated bill until the 12 months is up. If for some reason your usage has been a lot higher than there may be a surplus to pay at the end.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• thespiceman
    Hello @Geoark Thank you for information.  I have checked.  Far as I can see have to pay £30 exit fee on each utility.  Not very clear though just double check.  Always is though is it not the final letter.  Make it set out in a way well I would not bother.  Then any outstanding debt to pay off.  That they created in the first place. Problem is the switching been on line new company still waiting for final statement from old company.   Hope you are OK.   Nice to chat hope to speak to you soon.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thespiceman sorry had not noticed you had replied when I added to my last post.

As I said exit fees only apply if you are on a fixed tarrif and does not apply at the end of the contracted period.

See https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/11/how-to-avoid-paying-an-exit-fee-when-you-switch-energy-tariffs/

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• thespiceman
    edited February 2018
    Hello @Geoark Thanks.  I get up early so to see what is on the forum.  Start the day speaking to all you lovely people out there it helps you know.  Thank you I will have a look at web link.  Thank you as always
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hi the back of your bill tells you a list of companys that do the warm front £140. Turn page over nearly all of them doit 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.