Blue badge question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge question

Rosiesmum
Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected
edited December 2017 in Transport and travel

My son is currently appealing the loss of his lifetime mobility award so what if anything should I do about his blue badge?

He was awarded it 15 years ago after council disability assessment before he claimed DLA due to his  ongoing severe mobility issues.

His current one runs out December 2019 but I'm not sure wether to make council aware he has lost his award or not I don't want to break any rules!

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you been renewing on the basis he gets DLA or on the council's assessment of 15 years ago?
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Never quite understood why it’s called the blue badge. Shouldn’t that be reserved for emergency services due to the colour blue? Sometimes disabled people are referenced by the colour purple like the purple pound, so should it not be that? Disabled parking bays are usually in yellow so it could be referred to as the yellow badge.
  • Rosiesmum

Hi @Matilda the last renewal was the only one we notified them of his lifetime award as he was under the Children with disabilities team for years til he turned 18 so they usually had lots of current info to support application without the need for further assessments as his support has been ongoing.

• Matilda
    @Rosiesmum

I suggest you ask in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • Rosiesmum

Thanks @Matilda

I wonder if a mod can move this over save me jamming up the boards with another question I know there are so many people needing assistance thanks a lot :)

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I believe the council will have the ability to look up or enquire about his status with DWP. They may not need to be informed. However, it is probably best to check with someone who knows more about it.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Rosiesmum
    All sorted I rang the council and they are happy for him to continue using it as she looked up his file and could see he would pass their disability criteria (oh the irony of that with all that's going on!) so I'm happy with that.
  • Matilda
    Pleased Blue Badge is resolved, @Rosiesmum.

Brightness