PIP and housing benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and housing benefit?

Aida
Aida Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I live with my partner. Her son is a full time EU student in UK. He has mental illness and currently receives PIP. Before he became a student he was on benefits. Will he qualify for housing benefit? If he does can he pay the rent to his mother’s partner as his landlord. The lad is 24 and the landlord 76.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, @Aida and welcome to the community. I don't have an answer for your questions, I'm afraid, but there are others here who will be able to help and advise you.
    If I can find out anything for you I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Warmest best wishes to you,

Richard @RichardVR
  • Aida
    Many thanks Richard
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Aida
    Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

We have a “Benefit Calculator”  here on the website.

I have posted a link for you below:
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check
  • punk
    punk Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Aida said:
    I live with my partner. Her son is a full time EU student in UK. He has mental illness and currently receives PIP. Before he became a student he was on benefits. Will he qualify for housing benefit? If he does can he pay the rent to his mother’s partner as his landlord. The lad is 24 and the landlord 76.
    It would be up to the council as they may consider it a contrived tenancy. 

Is the LL his father? 
  • Aida
    No, LL is not his father. It costs the LL to heat and light home which he could let to a lodger. 
  • punk
    punk Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    edited December 2017
    It would be up to the LA decision maker to decide.

Electric/Heating are not covered by HB. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Aida and welcome to the community.

Sorry your post is a bit convoluted, but will see if I can help. As the son is entitled to PIP and previously received benefits - assuming this was in the UK, he is entitled access to public funding so meets this criteria.

Second you don't mention what level he is studying at, further education or higher education - the second would be studying for a degree or higher. As you mentioned he was on benefit before becoming a student this would indicate the possibility of him doing higher education, if so is he getting help with tuition fees and living costs, if so this may complicate things with regards to housing benefit.

Third is with regards to the landlord, as you say you live with your partner, the young man's mother, and he would be renting from her partner would this be you?
    Either way, would he be living with the landlord or in a seperate property? If he will live with you and his mother this could be seen as a contrived tenancy.

If he is not living with the landlord he will not be a lodger but a tenant and the landlor will have other responsibilities besides heating the property, just as he will have greater protection. In general housing benefit will only pay the local housing allowance for a shared room for someone under 30, not a flat on his own. Again this would depend on the benefit he was on. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.