Wheelchair user - mobility - PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair user - mobility - PIP

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 16 Connected
edited December 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Libby44

I think it is fair to say that there is no definite answers when going for PIP assessments.

He can take a PIP self test here to see what he could potentially score.

Here is the scoring criteria for PIP mobility:

MOBILITY ACTIVITIES

1. Planning and following journeys.
    a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided.  0 points.
    b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.  4 points.
    c. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot plan the route of a journey.  8 points.
    d. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid.  10 points.
    e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.  10 points.
    f. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid.  12 points.

2. Moving around.
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided.  0 points.
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided.  4 points.
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.  8 points.
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.  10 points.
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided.  12 points.
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
    (i) stand; or
    (ii) move more than 1 metre.  12 points.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Mobility Component Points Scores

To get an award of the mobility component you need to score:

8 points for the standard rate
    12 points for the enhanced rate

For mobility, the points need to be scored from mobility activities 1-2 above.  

As with daily living above, you only score the highest points that apply to you from each activity, but you can add points from activities 1 and 2 together to reach your final total.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
  • Salamka101
    Salamka101 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Libby44, just to clarify the points in each section are not cumulative. You can only score a maximum of 12 in each section. You don't say whether your husband drives a car now but if he does he will almost certainly score 0 in the 'plan and follow the route of a journey' section. His score in the mobility section might depend on whether the wheelchair counts as an aid and thus whether he is able to stand even for a few seconds.Yes it really is that crazy!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Libby

There are no guarantees with any claim. From what you say "F sounds likely which will give him 12 points, but 1f is more difficult and depends on how you think he will qualify

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi Libby, i now use a wheelchair, cant stand for 1 min i can walk 3 steps, about, cant drive anymore my partner drives for me,i got 12 points, hope that takes a bit of worry away.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2017

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.