DVLA GETTING A PHOTO LICENCE RENEWED THE PROBLEMS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DVLA GETTING A PHOTO LICENCE RENEWED THE PROBLEMS

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello Every body I would like to discuss the new rules regarding photo licences for those who drive.  Got a letter in the mail reminder that my licence is due for renewal.  Need photo and reading the instructions on the letter.  Great use my local Post Office do not wished to do this on line.  One option was done it on line.  Put debit card details on line not too sure about this plus well security conscious.  Anyway my local Post Office has photo Booth for licences.  Says that on Post Office  Website.  Off we go into the ice and snow.  Got there only to found out do not have a booth.  Nearest one is in the next town only two I believe in my County.  Well here I am posing the question.  What is the point having a scheme like this?  Found out only 789 Post Offices have this system out of 11000 Post Offices.  The other point to raise is the cost £17 charge by Post Office plus extra admin fee £4.50.  Also yes you can do it on line, have valid passport, have a computer.  Suppose you do not have those things.  By way form to fill in another load of personal information and in my eyes some restrictions on certain parts.  I agree need to be strong vetting on licence but as I have problems with forms.  Live on my own.  Do find it differcult.  I know I am an intelligent gentleman but I struggle with forms.  I am just saying to our community who some do drive be aware of this new regulation.  My motobility not good or bad same with disability.  I worry for those in wheelchairs who drive or others who have a disability who would struggle to park and find a suitable Post Office.  My solution went home and found eventually a passport I did not know I had.  Went on line although the questions a security and personal stuff about nearly 40 minutes.  I used my debit card but I had to do this.  I hope I am not alone in this I hope anybody else has any problems as I did.  Thank you 
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    There are other regular places for photo booths. Most larger rail stations have them as do most Tesco's. I have seen them in other large stores as well. I do believe though that some of the obstacles are there deliberately, in a way testing your abilities to plan routes, find information about travel and go from place to place safely. Considering the state of some people's eye sight who are too proud to wear glasses it is not a bad thing to limit the driving licences to those fit to drive. Having and driving a vehicle is a potentially dangerous pursuit and the ease with which unsafe drivers maintain their use of vehicles is difficult to understand.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    There are photographers who will take ID photos.  Will charge more than photo booths of course - but maybe less hassle.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Topkitten Thank you for reply.  I agree with you about photo booths and the inaccessibility.  I am sorry I apologise for not making it clear in my writing.  The Post Office have this new ID system for people who want licences.  Need new photo.  The staff have a machine at the counter which will take your photo.  Then the photo and the information about your licence is sent electronically down the line to DVLA.  The problem is there are only two of these machines in the county.  Far as I know, where I live.  Think of this as I have said.  No computer, no passport, plus do you want to go around the country looking for a photo machine that on the website each Post Office should have.  I think I said only 789 have them these photo ID machines for licences.  As I said there are other options like the form but you have to adhere to rules in booklet.  Fill in a form reusing information on your licence.  Could take a month to do.  As they say quicker electronically but really two machines in the county.  I hope you OK.  Pleasure to talk Speak to you soon.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Hi @thespiceman

I am hearing that you have problems renewing your driving licence. Glad in a way that I do not have to do that anymore as I am no longer entitled to drive with my level of vision.
    Hope you find a solution to accessible photos that meet the DVLA standards. I believe they have some of those photo booths in shopping malls and in shops like Boots tghe chemists. But whether they’re accessible for you personally I do not know.
    Best of luck
  • thespiceman
    edited February 2018
    Hello @Neil2017 How are you.  Great to speak to you.  I am understand that you can not drive any more.  Sorry I am lucky to have a vehicle.  I am afraid of PIP and the outcomes.  Same old story lose car get trapped with no social motobility.  Looking at options when if losing car next year wait and see.  Thank yo for information on photo booths.  I think I have must have today a mental block today every body.  I am finding differcult to explain what I mean.  Sorry everybody being Friday must be one of those days.  The DVLA has sent me reminder to get new licence.  Need photo.  On the back of the letter says to go to Post Office.  Where counter staff have a Photo machine to take your picture.  Type in all your details for the licence.  Then it goes electronically down the wire to as they say to DVLA. For a fee £17 plus £4.50 admin charge.  On the Post Office Website says all Post Offices have these sort of service.  They do not.  I apologise for not making that clear.  Think of this you have go around the county looking for a Post Office that has that service.  Do you want to do that?  Option 2 fill on line form and send it Debit card.  Problem is need passport.  I was trying to say if want to do that.  Then you can not.  Option 3 fill out another form that could take a month for your licence to get back.  Also finding a suitable photo booth thank you everybody I thank you for information.  I was trying to get that a small change on a licence could cost more time and effort to do.  I hope that is a bit clearer what I am trying to say.  Only 789 Post Offices have this service out of 11000 Post Offices.  I live in a rural back water.  Not good.  I hope you are OK great to talk to you
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi thespiceman

Yes, thank you for letting us know about this, I was not aware of the change.
    So much relies on internet access and banking these days, It is not fair to penalise people that are not comfortable with this or cannot for some other reason manage these things.
    I hope your day is as good as it can be and I do look forward to talking to you soon

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    Hello @CockneyRebel How are you?  Thank you for replying.  I am agreeing with you here.  Thank god I have a computer I can do these things.  Unfortunately if you read my blogs my adventures when I do anything turns into episode of One Foot In the Grave.  Everything goes Pete Tong as they say.  I hope to speak to you soon.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    I always read your blogs with interest and often think your could have a best seller on your hands if you ever wrote a book :)

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    Hello @CockneyRebel Thank you for kind words.  I did start on this to get all my baggage out of my head.  Suggested by my support worker.  Filled pages and pages exercise books and paper.  Too painful to write.  Then I thought finished last year just sitting there.  Every morning seeing this huge straining book case of my life story.  Too much pain, misery and heart break.  What to do?  I wondered.  I had to destroy it.  Instead you all have the pleasure of my sorry long threads, my life stories, my experiences.  My support worker read some of it one moment crying one moment laughing.  So maybe just write the comical parts.  I know I done stand up and done other performances.  My life is so like a cartoon.  Maybe one day.  Mr Speilberg if want a story I am here.  Best wishes hope you are OK for New Year.
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness