Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefit

Options
TinLizzy
TinLizzy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My Husband has Leukaemia, Prostate Cancer and Crohns Desease we cannot claim any benefits as we have our pensions and my husband has £400 a month private pension we manage, but I read an article which said about a benefit that is not means tested (then I threw the paper away and can't remember what it was called) we arent scroungers have worked hard all our life.

Comments

• Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hello @TinLizzy
    Sorry to hear your husband has all the conditions you’ve stated.

The two benefits of which either your husband may be able to claim are Persobal Independence Pay( PIP) or Attendance Allowance(AA). You can make new claims for PIP until you are 65. AA is usually claimed from aged 65 and over although there is I am told a caveat if you’re already on PIP at 65.

You can find out more about PIP and AA and how to make a claim by searching the gov.uk website. More info may be available on the Scope website outside these forums. Macmillan Cancer support could also be another useful website.

Also if your husband is going for a lot of clinic consultations and treatment, check whether you are entitled to any reduced car parking fees if going there by your own private car. These soon mount up if going in for a few hours a week.

Am also not sure if your husband would be entitled to apply for a blue badge or disabled parking badge. Or even to apply for a concessionary disabled bus pass rather than a pensioners bus pass. There is a difference in that pensioners bus passes do not give subsidised journeys early in the morning in many areas, so this could be of help if neither of you drive a car.

Hope this helps you sort some stuff out for 2018.

• TinLizzy
    Options
    Thank you will try some of these suggestions.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The previous person has put you in the picture about PIP ring freephone 08009172222 to make a new claim may be a long wait then the form is filled in over the phone and you will be asked to attend a face to face ascessment, you can claim your travel exspences bus, car, train or for me door to door taxi £60 each way I paid then claimed back repaid in about three weeks keep receipts. Blue Badge is through county council as is bus pass. Good luck.
  • TinLizzy
    Options
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    The non means tested benefits are not designed to help with normal living costs but to help with the additional costs incurred by illness and disability. There are also a lot of problems with the system and the government is going to fairly extreme lengths to reduce the costs to the country of supporting such people. Don't be surprised if you meet a lot of resistance and difficulties even finding out if you are entitled to them.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wilko said:
    The previous person has put you in the picture about PIP ring freephone 08009172222 to make a new claim may be a long wait then the form is filled in over the phone and you will be asked to attend a face to face ascessment, you can claim your travel exspences bus, car, train or for me door to door taxi £60 each way I paid then claimed back repaid in about three weeks keep receipts. Blue Badge is through county council as is bus pass. Good luck.

The PIP form is not filled out over the phone. They asked you some initial questions BUT the PIP2 form is then sent out to you. You then have to fill the form in and return it with all your evidence to support a claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.