Hi, my name is Roggy! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Roggy!

Options
Roggy
Roggy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone

Comments

• Roggy
    Roggy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Im a carer for my son /adult   due to my son having life long learning disability feel despair for not being able to secure future security for them and was needing advice to wether a mortgage would be a route to go or avoided ? Thank you for any advice
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hello @Roggy
    And welcome to the Scope forums.
    On your question of taking out a mortgage I guess it would depend on what income you have coming in and whether the bulk of that income is benefits.

For instance if your on Housing Benefit or a Housing Benefit component of Universal Credit that may be stopped.

in my opinion taking out a mortgage is probably quite risky if you income is purely benefits as they usually last for around 25 years unless you have a significant amount of capital to put into the property. Also I would guess interest rates are on the rise so unless you had a long fixed period that could soon go up and increase payments.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Roggy,

Welcome to the community.

We recently published some information about Mortgages on the Scope website. . I hope you find it helpful and if you have any questions, let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    As a general rule the system provides less support for people with mortgages on the assumption that either a) you can afford it on your own or b) you could sell the property. This may not be much help but it depends on whether you feel it likely for the mortgage to continue after you are no longer around.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness