Fit for work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit for work

Options
Carin1966
Carin1966 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi docs signing me of sick i have osteoarthritis in my hands i have had joint replace done in one finger due to go in feb time for next op this has bn done in right hand so far .i cant use hands properly. I have had xrays done on knees which are showing signs . i get pip . my appeal is January im now getting panicky bout it 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Carin1966
    Welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you are worrying.  You say you get PIP and your appeal is in January, what is the appeal for? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Carin1966, how are you doing?
  • Carin1966
    Options
    Hi my appeal is job center saying im fit for work n my doctor saying im not .i have osteoarthritis i had joint replacement in my ring finger on my right in September i still cant bend it properly or grip i am due to go in again in February for joint replacement in my middle finger on my right hand .im right handed .i have it in my knees aswell
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Carin1966 - I have included a link to the Scope pages about ESA, which I assume is the benefit you are appealing in January: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/esa
    It's really important to prepare properly for an appeal, and to know how you are going to score the 15 points or more that you will need in order to be successful at an appeal. It's possible you might be able to get some help and support with your appeal from your local advice agency, such as Citizens Advice. If you call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333, then they may be able to give you details of where you can get some local advice. The key thing is to do your research on the points system, identify the points that apply to you (15 or more), and then, if possible, get some medical evidence to back you up. The fact that you get PIP will help, especially if the reasons you get PIP are similar to the reasons you feel you should get ESA. There is also very helpful information on other benefit sites, such as Disability Rights UK.
    If you would like more steerage on this then please post your question in the Ask an Adviser part of this Scope site, and we will try and help if we can.
    Good luck with your appeal!

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Carin

B&W have a usefull self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

Have a look it might help

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    I agree - this test is a useful introduction to the level of limitation you would need to show in order to access ESA, and it would give you a good idea of where your points might be obtained. 
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Carin1966
    Options
    Thank u all i will make appointment with c.a.b n get them to help 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Carin1966

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you with anything “pressing”

Many thanks.
  • Carin1966
    Options
    Thanks im just worried by it all especially if they say im fit for work n ment to have op in February for more joint replacement in fingers then be in splints for bot 8-10 weeks still cant grip with hand from last operation last September 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Carin1966

Please please don’t be worried if possible!!!!!

Sorry but have you made contact with “CAB”

Please please let me know if I can help you further????
  • Carin1966
    Options
    Cant make appointment just gta go as walk in
  • Carin1966
    Options
    Hi I won my appeal for universal credit fit for work 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is great news @Carin1966

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.