Finding work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding work

Options
Jan1176
Jan1176 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
edited January 2018 in Work and employment
I have been disabled for 5 years due to previous spinal surgeries that have not helped and I have had to use crutches or wheelchair.  However, I have had a recent operation Spinal Cord Stimulation and I am able to walk for the first time in 5 years unaided and without pain.  I am looking to go back to work part time but am worried that my 5 years out of work due to my disability will put people off from employing me.  Also, although the device have me to walk etc, I do still have the problem in my back and therefore, I do have to take care not to do any further damage.  I am due to start a part time OU course in Feb for Social Sciences and Psychology.  I just don't really know where to start in terms of work.  I have informed PIP of these new developments and so my benefit will stopped shortly and I need to try and get some work.  Sorry for rambling on. 

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good morning Jan. Welcome to the community. I hope you find it useful. I've moved your post into our employment advisor category. I'm sure one of our advisors will be able to help. You might also be interested in Scope's Support to Work service.
  • Guy_Scope
    Guy_Scope Scope Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Jan,
    Your part -time course shouldn't effect your PIP, but may effect other benefits, so it is good that you have informed them.
    As Alex said above Scope's Support to Work might be a good place to start as we can offer advice and guidance in regard to looking for work, you can give us a call on 0300 222 5742 or have a look at the information Alex has linked to above. 
    Guy
    Employment Team Manager
    Scope's Support To Work

Brightness