TRIBUNALS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TRIBUNALS

Pat1960
Pat1960 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
My name is Pat i suffer with COPD and Dystonia, Behcets disease, Lumbar and Cervical Spndulosis, Severe nerve pain in my back and legs and abdomin caused by bulging discs and coxideamia and S1 joint problems in my spine. I suffer with PTSD and Anxiety and Stress. I was on DLA for 20 years on High rate Mobility and Middle rate Disabilty. Then this PIP take over I was assessed in my home by ATOS and the assesser was very rude to myself and my daughter. The question s she was asking we're irrelevant to my PIP claim. I never moved off my bed the entire time she was here due to extreme pain was having an epidural the next day. This assesser lied in her report about me myself and my daughter could not believe what she had put. I was awarded no mobility and had to do a mandatory appeal were I was only awarded standard rate not enough to keep my mobility car. I then seen welfare rights to go to a Tribunal. I gave lots of written reports off my Neurologist and  Rhumatologist  and my GP plus old letters etc. I wentvto my Tribunal which i waited 8 months for only for Welfare rights to cancel coming with me 15 mins before my hearing. My Daughter was with me and the Doctor and ATOS person there humiliated me so did the judge they had me in tears. They basically ignored my medical evidence said it was not enough that the reports were not good enough. That I should of had a full respiratory report ad well and thatvthere was none there. They basically humiliated me and said they stood by my assessers report and that I can walk 50 meters when I clearly can't. It was an awful experience and I was disgusted with how they treated me. I've lost my car and now have to reclaim PIP all over again and have a face to face again because I could not use my new diagnosis at my Tribunal about my S1 J JOINT my Rhumatologist was disgusted when I told him I had lost and that they said his report was not good enough. He said they bviously don't know what there talking about if they did they would have seen off his report and my aNeurologists report just how bad my mobility is. He's done me a fresh report to give with my new PIP Claim. I just hope I gather enough evidence to get the enhanced rate .It's my Independence they've took away from me and security. Plus my self esteem so I've got another 6 months or more of not knowing and Stress and anxiety which make my illnesses even worse. I hope 2018 is a good year for me.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Pat and welcome

Unfortunately you are not alone and many people are denied the award they deserve.
    It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good place to start is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

It is not always the ammount of evidence but the way it is read ( or not ). Try to write any submission using the terminology in the descriptors. Concentrate on showing how your functionality is affected as PIP is not about your conditions but how they affect your daily funtionality.
    There is lots of good info on here and many knowledgable members who have been through this and willing to help.
    Please have a look around and come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi 

How are you getting on atm @Pat1960
  • Pat1960
    I'm just getting fresh reports off my consultants and respiratory nurse and urology to prepare for filling in and sending off my new  PIP Forms I gave received. Need to get as much evidence as possible . So that I present enough evidence to back my case for the enhanced rate . I just hope I'm successful this time. That I have the right representation as well I had no one at my tribunal welfare rights let me down big time by not attending with me. So I'm reluctant to use them this time.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    I am going through an appeal process, finding it very stressful and sometimes feel like saying forget it,  But I am under several consultants for various health complaints and I don't think that when they look at the information that you submit with your application form that this is taken into consideration.  I was in Pip and was taken off it in March of last year.  I started the appeal process almost straight away.  a face to face assessment was even worse.  She gave me no points at all after I have been receiving both mobility and care...... Any advice
  • Pat1960
    You should go to your CAB get help from them or even the welfare rights in your area will probably be better than my area. I was given DLA indefinitely in 2000 I was on high rate mobility and middle rate disability. Then the change over to PIP my assesser lied on my face to face in my home. I was awarded standard care but nil mobility. I did mandatory appeal and was given standard rate mobility . I then took it to tribunal and lost they said my consultants reports were not good enough and not enough information or evidence in them when there was. All my consultants are disgusted with them. I've been under rheumatology for 27 years with luckily the same consultant. He gave me a great report so did Neurology the same consultant I've been under for 17 years his report was good and so was my GP's.  I don't even think they read them properly  at the tribunal they just over ride them. What I have wrong with me severely affects my mobility and limits it greatly. It's also degenerative as well it's never going to improve. I'm so stressed and anxious with all this. They've taken away my independence and security and I'm going to fight to get it back .
  • janice_in_wonderland
    CAB are not an option atm nor is getting to the law centre half an hour away by bus 

I tel every day to try to get through to a human in reception at the Drs bc it won't allow me to do it on the automated system or online bc I need an appt to see a dr first as I moved to a new area 5 months have passed by and don't know anyone who can help and I don't drive & money is too tight for a taxi 
    How can I win a benefits tribunal if i can't get up to date evidence 
    My well being lady said she'd attend the appt with me but is on a training course on the day of my Tribunal 

My new dream home bungalow has brought new challenges I hope I can overcome 
  • Pat1960
    Welfare Rights will come to your home if you are unable to get there due to your illnesses . 
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    What do Welfare Rights do?
  • janice_in_wonderland
    My current welfare advisor is 100 miles away bc I moved so I'll look into it here
    not easy rebuilding life atm
    I'll feel better when the clocks change bc my dust allergy lessens sitting outside 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Pat1960

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the tribunal. 

You have posted that you are getting more evidence to support your claim for enhanced rate mobility. As CR posted it is important to understand the PIP mobility descriptors and then which descriptors apply to you. It is important as it is really useful to then get medical evidence that supports the relevant descriptor e.g. a medical report that details that you can only walk a few metres and why (medically) this is the case.  

When asking PIP to also look again at a decision, they will look at the whole of the award.  That is they will decide if standard rate daily living is the correct award as well as considering mobility. As such, PIP can not only increase your award they can keep it at the same level or reduce your award. It is therefore worth ensuring that any medical evidence you send to PIP also supports your current award of PIP-Daily living.

Kind regards 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.