No longer eligible for PIP? Will ESA stop too? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No longer eligible for PIP? Will ESA stop too?

Options
TS2211
TS2211 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi 
I have been receiving PIP from Dec 2016- Dec 2017. Last month I received a form to review of any changes and a nurse called in to complete assessment. I contacted PIP yesterday and was told that I am no longer eligible and thus they have stopped the payments. A letter was apparently sent on 2nd Jan but I haven't received any yet. I am confused about the decision as my condition only deteriorated and there hasn't been much change as I am still awaiting treatment. Now that PIP has stopped, does this mean ESA would stop immediately too? I am looking to request for a mandatory reconsideration. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @TS2211

Good Evening & Welcome!!!!

I’m sorry to hear about your “Pip” problem.

Yes we can hopefully help/support you with this!!!

We have got lots of “info”

On our website there is also “Benefit Advisors “

I/we can help/support you with this as well.

Please please let me how you feel ??????
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello TS2211 and welcome

Rest assured your ESA will not stop due to PIP, the two are unrelated

Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    you will need this in order to know what points you scored for each descriptor and what you need to challenge.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    TS2211,

As CR says, no need to worry about ESA. The benefits are separate, and your ESA will continue.

I agree that your first step should be to get the report. Then ask for a mandatory reconsideration of the decision (within a month, if you can). It's very possible that the decision is wrong and you can get it changed, although you may have to go to an appeal tribunal if the mandatory reconsideration stage isn't successful.

Have a look at the PIP self test to see what you think you should have scored. You need 8 points to be eligible for either component, 12 points for the higher rate.

Good luck!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.