Stating your disability for an online job — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stating your disability for an online job

Dominique
Dominique Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi, I'm looking for an online job, so should I or should I not state that I have a disability? 
Dominique

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    My experience has been that it never goes well if it is disclosed at application stage.
    If you get an interview, bring it up then so you can put your case across.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Does your disability affect the job requirement ?

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Dominique
    I need to say that I can't use the phone. 

Dominique

• Dominique
    Yes MarkMyWords, that is my worry. 

Dominique

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If using the phone is part of the job then there is little point applying. If the job does not involve using the phone and you are able to fulfill all of the other duties then why tell them .,

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hi @Dominique,
    Hope you're well and many thanks for your question.

You are not required to disclose your disability during the application stage and this could be brought up during the interview- if you are invited to an interview.
    The choice is yours but it might be a good idea to include a section in your covering letter  (if one is required) when applying for the role just to say that you obviously have difficulty using a phone  due to your disability- if that is the case-and just explain how you get around this issue. Do you use accessibility software? or would you require certain provisions to be made?

The key is not to make this sound like a a negative aspect instead state what the issue is and illiterate that  this does not not affect your ability to do the job as long as there a provisions in place.

hope that helps 
    Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • Dominique
    edited December 2018
    Gladly I can now use the phone for formal phone calls, because I built a communicator on my Mac, MacCommunicator, but at work it may not be accepted by everyone who phones because I sometimes state beforehand that I'm going to use my communicator. The word is disabling but if you use the phonetic spelling of the said emphasised word with its intonation by appropriate punctuation afterwards then the conversation is fluent. For example: 

Hello          Helllo          helloa       hellow (is very formal)      hello' (different tone) 
    For you      for u            4 u           fur yoo+          four ewe    4 ewe+
    What          wot             whit          whattt~           whot          whoat?        

Helllo, wot r u doing? ....Is everything okay' 4 u? Whot...not? 
    You can insert full stops ('...') anywhere or commas (',,,,', ',,' or a combination ',,..,,.,') for pauses as in hesitation which gives fluent real speech digitally

If anyone wants MacCommunicator then just ask, because it's better than it looks, which is a very severe thing indeed. You need frequent phrases on buttons for fast speech rather than using the text box: "Goodbye", "Got to go", "Thanks for the conversation", "Thanks for the chat". It says Rhodaz Communicator at the top but you can put any name...sorry for the surprise, but Dominique Green is my pseudonym for the poetry book I was published in, Filling the Void, and my real name is Rhoda Monihan, but never mind, you can now find more of my poetry online, 750+ poems at https://www.poetrysoup.com/poems_poets/poems_by_poet.aspx?ID=66436 and you can Google me. Also, I've  published a WW II poetry book on Amazon, WW II in Poetry [links edited by moderator]
    Thank you Mwila "That's great".

Brightness