Driving as a stress reliever — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving as a stress reliever

Options
manstickcar
manstickcar Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2018 in Transport and travel
I suffer from pain, lots of it. Mostly unexplained. Yes I have joint problems, but since I've been in this state I've put on weight - so maybe that's not helping. The pain is in my muscles, joints, even my head at times. I struggle to walk and concentrate or even get out of bed most days, but some days I can walk quite well for a little while, (as long as I don't fall over), 20 - 50 metres before needing a brief rest. When I get anxious the pain increases and stress can make it unbearable. I have been diagnosed with Centralised Pain, Hyperalgesia, Neuropathy and symptoms of Fibromyalgia, Anxiety and induced Depression. Cold hurts and even the pressure of wearing clothes can be agony on a bad day.

However, driving doesn't hurt as much. Sure, I have had to go to an automatic, and it hurts to get in and out of a car, but the actual act of driving is far less stressful that just sitting and / or walking. If anything, as my only means of getting out and seeing the world, it feels safe.Even traffic jams are a blessing because they mean more time in the car. At the same time, I don't have to interact face to face with people, which reduces my anxiety.

Am I alone in this? Is this just another sort of stress reliever? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

Brightness