Hi I’m Sarah & my dad’s PIP assessment falsified!!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I’m Sarah & my dad’s PIP assessment falsified!!!

Options
sarahsismey
sarahsismey Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited December 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My dad is not well & suffers with Spondylitis & was on DLA “Indefinite” but was assessed by a lying Assessor and now after taking it to Mandatory Consideration, he’s now not receiving it! How can I help my dad, as to me, the Assessor who is still working for the NHS, should not be allowed to lye as if my dad had, he’d have been prosecuted or / & fined but why can’t the government do more!!? This is not on!!

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Sarahsismey and welcome

You can read many similar stories on the forums so you and your dad are not alone

Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?

There are two things to do
    First your dad should appeal to the tribunal. While it is important to address the issues of the assessment, this will not score points. You should concentrate on showing that your dad meets the criteria for an award.

It is important to understand that DLA and PIP have different criteria. To understand the PIP points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award, a good starting place is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is also lots of good info about the appeals process on this site
    Please come back with any questions

Second, your dad should make a formal complaint to the assessment provider.
    This is a separate issue to the appeal and while you can mention this the tribunal are not interested in persuing bad assessors. The tribunal are only interested in finding the facts about how your dad is affected by his condition

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sarahsismey
    Welcome to the community and I am sorry to hear about your dad's bad experience, we have lots of support in appealing a DWP decision including these videos that may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tDSlsityY

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sarahsismey

Good Afternoon & Welcome!!!!

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad and his struggles to-date!!!!!

Unfortunatly you will find that you are not alone.

Please please have a good look around are “Community”
  • sarahsismey
    Options
    Hi there. I need your advice please. My dad is having to attend Hearing for his PIP Assessment. I posted a message before and just wanted to ask if anyone has attended a Hearing? I’m worried for my dad as he had his PIP Assement rejected due to an Assessor who lied! Surely MPs or someone needs to take action, as disabled people I feel are being discriminated against due to them claiming for PIP! I, like most, would much prefer for people not having a disability and the need to claim PIP,  but I DO NOT AGREE with the rubbish  that Assessors are putting into claimants’ Assessment Reports!! This surely cannot continue! It’s putting more stress on the disabled claimants!!! 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I won my appeal last May.

Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.  It's the panel's job to be inquisitorial so don't take their line of questioning personally.  Don't get upset, just stay calm and answer their questions confidently.  Stick to your guns.

The doctor might ask for how long you can walk. It's 30 seconds to walk 20m.  
    Doc at my tribunal asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

I was asked about my walking, driving, bathing, dressing, food preparation, getting off loo, taking medication.  Mention all the aids you need to use.

The judge, doctor all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of daily living disability.   I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances.  I only take a few short car journeys each week.

Tell your Dad not to drive himself - take a taxi if necessary.  Your Dad shouldn't dress up.  Your Dad might be asked about shopping trips and if you use disabled loos when out.

Good luck to your Dad at the Hearing!  65% of appeals succeed.

• sarahsismey
    Options

Thank you Matilda and Mike. I really appreciate your help and advice

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.