Exercise its a mental problem? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Exercise its a mental problem?

Options
paulinuk
paulinuk Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
I should excirsize I find is a mental problem I want and need to do it but I don't its easier not to bother and keep saying I will but I never do 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @paulinuk

Welcome to the community, I think that it can be really hard to motivate yourself to exercise, especially if you have any mental health issues.

Have you tried exercising with a friend? Planning a walk with someone else means you feel more inclined not to let the other person down.  It also makes it into a social event rather than an exercise day.

I try and get out every day, even on the days when I am in pain and struggling, some days I can manage a walk, some days it is just to go and get fresh air and sit on a bench in the park and watch the world go by.  My doctor told me to think about it like a prescription, if you are prescribed a pill, you take it every day whether you want to or not, and the same goes for fresh air and exercise, if you are prescribed it then you feel you should do it!

The NHS website says

People who do regular activity have a lower risk of many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and some cancers.
    Research shows that physical activity can also boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy, as well as reducing your risk of stress, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
    “If exercise were a pill, it would be one of the most cost-effective drugs ever invented,” says Dr Nick Cavill, a health promotion consultant.
    Given the overwhelming evidence, it seems obvious that we should all be physically active. It's essential if you want to live a healthy and fulfilling life into old age.
    It's medically proven that people who do regular physical activity have:
    • up to a 35% lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
    • up to a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes
    • up to a 50% lower risk of colon cancer
    • up to a 20% lower risk of breast cancer
    • a 30% lower risk of early death
    • up to an 83% lower risk of osteoarthritis
    • up to a 68% lower risk of hip fracture
    • a 30% lower risk of falls (among older adults)
    • up to a 30% lower risk of depression
    • up to a 30% lower risk of dementia
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • paulinuk
    paulinuk Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Its nice just laying in bed and or sleeping 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hello @paulinuk Welcome pleased to meet you.  Please can I make a suggestion.  I exercise my self but plan for it.  I have mental problems and I too find it hard to get motivated in mornings.  Try just gentle warm up stretching moving.  I do for a bout ten minutes Tai Chi it is designed for smooth gentle movements.  Put some relaxing music on to do it with.  I know it is a struggle I love my bed and it hard in winter and the start of new year.  I have to try to get stirring if I do not I feel I have wasted day.  Then it is a bad mood all day an do nothing day.  So I plan my mornings and struggle through the day.  All the lovely people here help me.  I try to come on here most mornings to chat and talk or afternoons then evening.  Good helps with mental health thank you all.  I once got into a routine of lying in bed may I say the bad old days.  So much so that my days became nights and my nights became days.  Has effected my sleep patterns just got them back on track last few years.  Hope you understand this.    also I am sure the community have some useful tips and advice.  I know it is helping me.  I hope to speak to you soon Nice to talk to you.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness