ESA — Scope | Disability forum


n31 Member Posts: 18 Listener
This is my first time applying for esa when i hear back about a decision makers in regards to esa. Will i get paid the basic esa rate before or after the assessment. Also has the assessment phase begun yet or not?


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @n31
    There is a bit of info on ESA here.
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi n31 - as Sam says, you can find very useful information about ESA by following the link above. There are also good resources on the website of Disability Rights UK: The assessment phase normally begins once your claim has been made and your medical certificate has been supplied. If you are 25+ then the assessment phase rate is £73.10 for a single person. The assessment phase is only supposed to last 13 weeks, but in reality it can take a lot longer for the assessments to take place and for a decision to be made. As part of the Work Capability Assessment, you will probably (although not inevitably) have to fill out an ESA50 questionnaire, which is all about how your illness or disability affects you, and go to a face to face assessment. Unless your illness or disability is very severe or exceptional, you will have to score a minimum of 15 points from the range of activities which you will find described in the resources mentioned above. It's really important to think carefully about these points, how you are going to score them, and what evidence you might be able to supply to support your case. If a decision is made that you are not able to work, then you will be put into the work-related activity group or the support group. Please get back to us if you need any further advice as your claim proceeds, but don't forget it's really important to know as much as you can about the way ESA works, as it can get tricky!

    Hope this helps.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.