National Autistic Society -best source for info? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Autistic Society -best source for info?

Options
Neil2017
Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
Hi everyone.

just wondered if tge National Autistic Society (NAS) is the best or main source of information on AUtisim generally?

I am also reading some interesting posts on it and glad to hear points from existing ASD members. Plus seen a couple of YouTube videos.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Neil2017
    Options
    Thanks for your input @DannyMoore
  • timoglock
    timoglock Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Options
    Not necessarily, no....I used to work for them though
  • Neil2017
    Options
  • TheKLF99
    TheKLF99 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    The National Autistic Society has some good information on the various forms of autism and in some areas they do run support groups for people with ASD's however it's much better to get information from a number of sources.  The NAS are good as a national group, but you also might get some really useful information from local places.  I don't know where in the country you are but I've lived in a few places and know of a few extra support groups you could try - these are mainly set up for people with Asperger's rather than Autism though so many people that go there are quite high functioning - Warrington has WAspS (Warrington Asperger's Society) which is run by Verity Turner, Liverpool has Ladders of Life which is mainly ADHD, Staffordshire has Staffordshire Adults Autistic Society which is run by Kevin Healey (Kevin also has a TV show - We Are Unique - on NTV (Sky 838)), Shropshire has Shropshire Autonomy (shropshireautonomy.co.uk) which is run by Sara & Eric Heath - Eric also runs a NAS meeting in Telford too,  Shrewsbury has an autism hub at Louise House, Ludlow has DIG Aspergers (digaspergers.com) which is run by Louise and Rob, Worcester has Aspie (aspie.org.uk).
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @VioletFenn I wondered what you thought about this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi all. 

I occasionally work with NAS on things - they are genuinely good and lovely people and know what they're talking about. But - and it's quite a big but - they are more or less a resource base for general information about ASD, rather than being a source of 'on the ground' support. You can find no end of hints and tips about the diagnostic systems/how to support friends and relatives with ASD etc on their site, but you won't get any individual help.

For that I can only reiterate what @TheKLF99 has already said - local groups are often the best place to look for specific queries. I'm in Shropshire and Autism West Midlands have been of invaluable help to both myself and my son.

So yes - NAS are great, but it depends entirely on what you're looking for.

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness