Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

leanne0112
leanne0112 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My daughter is 16 in January in year 11 so from nursery I had to sigh a form so she could have extra help an the same in infant an juniors an when she was ready for year 7 should we put here in a school that could help here as she had learning difficult or main stream school an the juniors said she will be fine if she gets support they would let them no, so year 8 I still wasn't happy with how she was getting on so took doctors to see could he help as I thought she had disfrascia with the learning difficult so doctor sent a form to school for them to fill in never heard anythin hi so year 11 I took no doctors but they couldn't do anythin till school filled form in so rang bk school an told them that she needs the help an if wasn't sorted I would be taking it further so now the school as sorted the form an they have also said that they think she as dyspraxia also learning difficult an now she is getting 1 on 1 an they are giving here the support , we have a nurse who comes out as well an now we are waiting for diagnosis I am fuming with the school as its to little to late x
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leanne0112
    Welcome to the community, Im sorry to hear that it was such a struggle to get support.

What happened between year 8 and Year 11?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ParentingAdvisorVikki
    ParentingAdvisorVikki Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Hi Leanne

What happened between year 8 and year 11?

It is a tricky situation you seem to be in, I've been in a similar one myself. My oldest son is 18 now, and having to redo all of his GCSE exams. 

I would suggest;
    1. Getting a formal diagnosis from a doctor
    - The school do not HAVE to give input towards a diagnosis. If she has already had a formal diagnosis then brilliant
    2. Once you have a recorded diagnosis, ask for a meeting with the SENCO at her school. The Senco or special needs coordinator will be able to talk you through what support is available and also help you access external support as a family. 
    3. If you feel her current school isn't able to support her needs them you should apple for and EHCP (Education and Health Care Plan) which lasts until she is 25. This outlines all of the support in school, and within the community. It will allow her to access services out Side of school and may help her into further education. 

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    my son has learning difficulties, with no diagnosis still. his school was contributing to his problems so i took all my kids out of that school and sent them to another as i classed them incompetent. my son went to an 'inbetween' school to be assessed as they thought mainstream school was not suitable for him.

they actually sent my son to a school for kids with behavioural problems and after a year there the head said she hadn't witnessed any sign of behavioural problems and he should be sent to a school for disabled children instead. the education authority wanted to send him to mainstream school but this head had also noticed he was too vulnerable for there and pushed for him to go to a disabled school where he would be best educated and cared for. if it wasn't for her fighting his corner i think we would've been fobbed off and his life wouldn't be as positive as it is right now.

if she'd like to go to college then maybe this help will be good for that at least? my son is doing well at college and enjoyed school eventually. but it took a couple of years of messing about to just get him on his way there, and if i'd not had the support of someone who actually had spent time observing and getting to know my child i don't think we would have even got that.

good luck. i can understand why you're so angry. proper support makes a huge difference.

Brightness