Pip decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip decision

valleyboy
valleyboy Community member Posts: 55 Connected
How long do a pip decision take as I had my assessment the 7th of December yet received a letter today 3/4/2018 dated the 26th of December mind saying they have received all the information and no need to do anything..
The assessor told me it takes between 4-6weeks well I'm hoping that is from my F2F date

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no time scales for decisions. It all depends on the backlog in your area. You can ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea what the decision will be as mostly they go with the report. It's also good to have a copy for this as it's handy if you have a refusal and need to ask for a MR. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi valleyboy - as poppy says, there is no time frame for decisions - some areas work faster than others. Just keep calling every week or so to ask what the progress is, and if they will release a copy of the assessment report before the decision is notified to you then that will be useful. You may not be claiming any other benefits, but if you are, and you do get awarded PIP, then make sure you tell any other benefit paying agencies (such as housing benefit or the jobcentre), just in case your PIP award can trigger higher amounts of any other benefits. You could also run your circumstances through the benefits calculator on this website, to make sure you are getting everything you are entitled to. Please get back in touch with us if you need any further advice as your claim proceeds. 

Good luck,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• valleyboy
    Hi just letting you know I've received a decision on pip where I've been awarded enhanced rate daily living only for a period of 2years,I'm just wondering if it's worth asking for a m r as I was receiving the lower rate mobility component on dla aswell as high rate care where I was awarded that for a indefinite period 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    If you think your current award is safe then it's worth asking for an MR.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?

Have you looked at the descriptors for the mobility component to see where you might score points ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • valleyboy
    Yea I've requested a copy of the assessment where I'm still waiting,I'm happy with the award of daily living but unhappy at the no mobility component award,it stated briefly in the award letter I could walk without severe discomfort down the steps from my flat and into a car along with I got up of my sofa with one burst which I didn't,4points they awarded me for mobility..
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately there are now only standard or enhanced rates for each component. The minimum requirement for a PIP mobility award is
    to stand and then walk unaided more than 20 metres but not more than 50 metres

Can you supply evidence to back up this level of difficulty ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi valleyboyvalleyboy,

As CR says, it will help if you can identify what points you should have got, and why. You could use the PIP self-test to check this, if you haven't already. 

You need 8 points to get any mobility component at all. There are just 2 activities they look at - planning & following a journey, and mobilising. As CR says, the mobilising activity is so limited that to get 8 points you would need to show you couldn't walk more than 50 metres without some sort of help (a person or an aid). If, as you say, you can't even walk from your house to the car, then maybe you do meet this test.

Also worth saying that if they say you can do something, you should be able to do it repeatedly (as often as you reasonably need to do something, here, moving about), to an acceptable standard (without it causing you unreasonable amounts of pain), within a reasonable time (not more than twice as long as someone without your condition) and safely.  So if any of these points are relevant - eg if you could just about get to your car but you could only do that once and then you'd be so tired or in pain you couldn't get out of it again, say so.

Bear in mind though that most MR requests are refused, so don't be put off if that happens. Your best chance of getting the decision changed at this point is, as CR says, if you have evidence. Hope that helps.

Bear in mind the DWP, and then later the tribunal (if you have to appeal) can look at the whole award, so as Matilda says, it's worth considering how safe you think the enhanced daily living component is - the PIP self-test will help you to think about that.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• valleyboy
    edited January 2018
    Hi,like I said previously I've been awarded enhanced rate daily living for a period of 2years,after me taking advice along with having feedback here I've decided not to ask for a MR as like I've been told it's highly unlikely the decision will be changed so I'll leave it at that..
    @Matilda my current award is safe in my opinion so I'll leave it at that..
    Really don't fancy requesting a MR then going to a upper tribunal where I could lose what I've already been awarded..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.