Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

new style esa

gildenelgildenel Member Posts: 16 Connected
so I have been getting income support and carers allowance, as I look after my daughter who has autism, she had an indefinite award for dla but recently lost this, I now am no longer entitled to these benefits so I rang the number to apply for esa (as i am unwell due to heart problems and anxiety among other things) and was told that I have to apply for universal credit, but have asked for a form for new style esa instead is this the best thing to apply for? 


  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 7,166 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to find out if you’re in a live or full service UC area. If you’re in a live area then you can claim ESA and have nothing to do with UC. I presume the loss of DLA is being challenged? I presume you have also checked that there are no other routes by which you might continue to get IS in the meantime?
  • gildenelgildenel Member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hi it's a full service area but they are sending me a form for new style esa, we have challenged the decision to take dds benefit away we're waiting for a tribunal date, the income support ended as I am no longer entitled to carer's allowance, I don' think there's any way I could get income support back, I could claim carers for my sister who gets pip but don't really have time to do enough for her in order to qualify, as I have 2 daughters with autism my husband gets carers for my other daughter.so we still get income support but I'm not on the claim.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi gildenel

    New style ESA is ESA based on national insurance contributions. This benefit requires you to have worked and paid at least some NI in one of the two years before the year in which you claim. If you have not worked at all in the last two to three years i'm afraid you will not qualify for this.

    It is good that you have challenged the decision to stop your daughter's benefit and it is also good that your husband is getting income support with you included. If you are successful in challenging the decision you should get paid the arrears for what otherwise would have been paid.

    Do bear in mind that if you claim universal credit this would have the effect of stopping your other benefits including your husband's income support. If you get child tax credit and/or housing benefit these would also stop. So think very carefully and get further advice before claiming universal credit.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.