ESA and permitted working — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and permitted working

gailsharon
gailsharon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
i am on esa in a support group I have permitted work for 5 hours per week I have done this for four years now and feel that I might be able to cope with more I am not sure how many hours I can work and still claim esa I am not ready to jump back into full time work yet as what I do  drains me out and I sleep for hours after doing just five hours can I get some advice on permitted work rules please.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi gailsharon

Claiming ESA if you work

You might be able to work and still claim ESA. It depends on how much you’ll get paid and the hours you do.

Permitted work

If you do ‘permitted work’ it won’t usually affect your ESA. It’s permitted work if both the following apply:

• you earn up to £120 a week
    • you work less than 16 hours a week

There’s no limit on how many weeks your permitted work can last for.

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks cockneyrebel, you answered it correctly only wish like many others i'am sure would love to earn the £120 per week doing part time work but it's finding employers willing to take us on, health and safety insurance cover ect,ect. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.