What clues do you look for that an employer might be open to employing disabled people? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What clues do you look for that an employer might be open to employing disabled people?

Jack_Scope
Jack_Scope Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Hello there,

My name is Jack and I'm working at Scope to create content on employment.

Is there anything you look for in an employer beyond something on their website saying that they're "positive about disabled people" or guarantee an interview?

Thank you for your time,

Jack

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I joined my current employer as a trainee taken on as part of the CIH Possitive Action for Disability, sadly no longer running, though they have carried on this practice, so places are only open to those with a disability.

My current team offer work experience each year through the Mencap Learning Disability Work Week, though usually not at the same time as the advertised week, and usually offer three weeks work experience as minimum.

Walking around it is easy to see some of the acommodations made to assist those with disability, including different types of keyboards or mice.

We have an active Ability Network which also feeds back concerns on new policies or changes in work practices. Some parts of my performance review includes being actively involved in disability issues, attendence of meetings, offering blogs for internal or external use.

I have a much better idea now on what to look for in a potential employer than I did when I first started.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Jack_Scope
    Jack_Scope Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Thanks both for taking the time to reply - much appreciated!
  • pinkbluefrog
    pinkbluefrog Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi Jack, 
    Not sure if this thread is still open for comments, but I'd say from my experience it would be an employer who is willing to have an open conversation. This is something that could be advertised on their website with examples. By that I mean that they are willing to think outside the box and work with the employee. It may be a practice that they haven't considered before like remote working / flexible hours or looking into assisted software options. So a culture of openness and willing to work creatively.

I'd also say open in the sense that it would be a conversation that can be picked up on and expanded at any time. When new developments happen in digital software, or if a person has a disability that fluctuates (sometimes better / sometimes worse). 

I think it has to be a two way conversation and one that feel open to both parties, so that a culture is fostered that welcomes flexibility, openness and willingness to learn and try new things.

Thanks, 
    Anne

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.