I feel like MS has robbed me of my life - can anyone help me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I feel like MS has robbed me of my life - can anyone help me?

jaspher
jaspher Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm finding it hard to accept my MS , had it now 13 yrs. can't work anymore. Used to be a people person but hardly go out of the house now . Feel MS has robbed me of my life . Can anyone help me ? 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Jaspher Welcome to our online community. We have got a lot off info on our home page. You will also find a number off groups including MS which will be ideal for you. Please let me know if you need pointing in the right direction ???????
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @jaspher,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

Have you checked out the Multiple Sclerosis Society? They have lots of information available on their website, and their free MS helpline can be contacted on 0808 800 8000.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi jasper I have had MS for over 30yrs now and I like you is a people person . Before MS I us to run
  • SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    edited January 2018
    hiya @jaspher
     I too suffered badly with Bladder (and Bowel) problems. I know that no 2 people are the same when it comes to MS but since I stopped taking Caffeine in my drinks I improved by around 90%. If you do take Caffeine in drinks such as Tea and Coffee then surely it's worth a try, it all still tastes the same to me, good luck
  • susanlily
    susanlily Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Oh how i feel for you and how true to to my own life yours seems to mine. I used to make myself do one crazy thing a day, talk to one friend a day, plan something to look forward to and count my blessings and i mean literally count them. When you can do non of these then you know you are in a deep pit. Hardest still is trying to see over the top of that pit at this time of year when its surrounded by tinsel and an inaccesible world of fun and celebration let alone claw yourself out.

MS has robbed you of the life you had but not of your life. As dreadful as that sounds there will be laughter again but you are now faced with the battle of carving out a new life for yourself. Yes your MS will moderate it but take as much control as you can, even the little things, especially the little things. Make sure when the sun shines you close your eyes and bask in it, make sure your vitamin D and B12 levels are good and talk, chat, write. 

Ive just joined on here and just messaging you has helped me. I hope you find a way of designing your new life. Good luck
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I don't have MS but I do suffer so much that my life has virtually been taken from me. I don't know how mobile you still are or how much help you get but trying to start a new life as a disabled man can be very difficult. Women are a little more fortunate as they will often get attention and help from men hoping to start a relationship with them but this doesn't happen for us guys does it.

My condition, much like MS, is progressive and will simply keep on taking my abilities away It isn't a pretty picture when you think of the future is it? Acceptance often eludes me too as, just as soon as I get to a point where I am just about there, I suddenly get worse and have to start over. It's frustrating and maddening and life sapping. Suicide constantly lies in wait unless you manage to get a grip on things though. Does this thought occur to you too?

There are lots of ways to get help. Through your GP, the local council, the local community and others but all of them require major effort to start them moving and it can be very difficult to find the energy to start such things but, if you haven't followed up some of these it is certainly worth a try.

I would suggest you talk to your GP about how you feel and maybe he or she can suggest and implement something which may help. Other than that what are your alternatives?

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • susanlily
    susanlily Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Jaspher I have been wondering how things are going for you now. Remember there are people out here always willing to listen and help. 
  • glenmayers
    glenmayers Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi Jaspher I have MS and Yes it’s different for everyone. I’m 53 was diagnosed in 2012. That diagnosis gave me the answer to my questions as to what the hell was wrong with me! I wasn’t obsessed with sport but I did play football, badminton. Walked instead of using vehicles. Over 3-4 years prior to my diagnosis. I started losing the physical coordination and stamina to do many things that I took for granted like cycling, ice skating and playing the piano. Many questions were answered. I now accept that I can’t do things even though my mind thinks I can. I have learned to be kinder to myself and remind myself constantly that I’m not able to do things; “Glen, your disabled “; “you can’t do that anymore Glen”. I have learned to ask for or accept help from others. I am kinder to myself, I see the funny side to things I do or that have happened to me. Jaspher i’m Not going to tell you do this or do that. I’m just going to say that I’ve accepted the label “I am disabled” and have stopped yearning back to the things I used to do. I am happier for it.

Brightness