Becoming pension age help — Scope | Disability forum

Becoming pension age help

lizbar54 Member Posts: 6 Listener
hi my husband who is disabled and on high rated PIP. and ESA and I get carers allowance but my husband is due his pension at the end of March when he turns 65 will this change all our bennifits and if so in what way please ? 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi lizbar

    PIP will continue, ESA will stop. Has your husband applied for his pension ?

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lizbar54
    lizbar54 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    No but got paper work in asking if he want to take it earlier which he has decided against, but got a letter today saying he is  dropping £95 a week come the 5th April, he turns 65 on the 29th March, is this possibly why his ESA. Is getting reduced it’s all so confusing he is disabled so I deal with all this and don’t have a clue. 
     And do I need to apply for his pension for him or will it just be transferred automatically? 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lizbar54

    You can claim the new State Pension at State Pension age if you have at least 10 years National Insurance contributions and are:

    • a man born on or after 6 April 1951
    • a woman born on or after 6 April 1953

    How do I claim my State Pension?

    You won’t normally receive your State Pension automatically. You need to make a claim.

    Step one: You should get a letter and booklet from the Pension Service about four months before you reach the State Pension age. If you don’t, give the Pension Service a call on 0800 731 7898.

    Step two: You can claim your pension online, over the phone or by post. You will need to provide your National Insurance number when you make a claim and you may need to provide evidence of your date of birth.

    • Online: You can claim your State Pension online anytime as it is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The service is safe and secure and there is an online helpdesk on 0345 604 3349 (textphone: 0345 604 0523) to help you through the process if you have any difficulty.
    • Phone: To claim over the phone call the Pension Service claim line on 0800 731 7898 or textphone: 0800 731 7339. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (except public holidays)
    • Post: You can also claim by form. You can download the forms from GOV.UK
    There is more information on the Age UK website here. I hope this helps!
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    You should get a full benefit check from Age uk if possible

    here is the link to new state pension


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.