At times I feel so alone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

At times I feel so alone

ginab
ginab Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Me and my hubby are both disabled, we get by ok but he suffers from terrible depression. When it gets its grips on him life is ........hell at times, 
He gets so frustrated by his disability and finds it difficult to accept.  I love him to bits but at times I feel so alone.  Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ginab
    Welcome to the community, is your husband getting any support for his mental health? 

Loneliness is something that is affecting so many people and is really tough, I hope that you can find people to chat to on the community, we are a friendly bunch and there are many people who understand.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ginab Welcome to the forum.  Pleased to meet you.  I am afraid I live on my own.  I suffer from anxiety and depression.  Have genetic condition effects hands, feet and other things.

I am lonely and use this forum for support.  I am in my early fifties and have the mental problems that come with this.

I would like to say I know I was speaking about me, but this is you and your partner.  I understand that is hard and difficult.  To talk about every day problems that bother you.

This is what I started to do on here, speak be honest and the emotions, feelings from my own experiences.  Soon I have found this helping not only myself but others like me and you on the forum.  Sharing the aspects of life as a community.

Please can I also add what has helped me is the messages of support and advice from those like the SCOPE team.  Please can I say having in the past some support for my mental health issues has benefited me.  I would try to look at what is available in your area.

A lot of mental health charities carry out self referral either on line, phone, email or by through Doctors  This is what I did applied through my Doctors.  I have done this on more than one occasion.  Got offered floating support. through the mental health charity I applied for.  The choice is yours and you partner.  Please note a lot mental health charities do take on people from all aspects of disability.  If you were ever wondering.  I know I asked first question.  It helps.

I hope and pray that you get the help, support, advice that you might need.  I am here to listen.  If you and your partner wish to talk, have a chat.  Discuss anything.  If you look around my own posts.

Best wishes take care nice to have met you both.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hi@ginab

I hope you are well. Depression is a horrible illness and often more so for the partner of the sufferer. Would your husband maybe accept visits from local charities ?. 
    I know there are people that love to volunteer and befriend people in their own homes, even if it is just for a hour. This would give you a short time to do something like read a book in another room. 
    Could you maybe speak to your doctor and see what support is out there for both of you?
    Best wishes 
    Sue 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ginab, how are you doing today?

Brightness