Claiming for service charges and major works — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming for service charges and major works

Options
rich_hobbs_1
rich_hobbs_1 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
hi I’m thinking of taking on my mums flat which is in a block and leasehold that comes with a service charge that has to be paid every year does anybody know if it is possible for me to claim for this charge as I’m on long term disability benefits due to bipolar etc 
many thanks 
any help or advice would be much appreciated 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi rich_hobbs_1,

I'm assuming you wouldn't be paying rent and that the flat is either mortgaged or paid off.

Some service charges can be included in the calculation of income-related employment and support allowance (ESA). If the service charges are for communal things such as upkeep of a lift, cleaning communal areas and buildings insurance which is a condition of the lease, they can be covered.

But if they are just for your individual flat, or they are for something more than just accommodation (such as an alarm system), they can't be included.

If they can be included then they would be part of your income-related ESA. The DWP would need evidence of what you have to pay, and what the service charges are for, so you would need invoices, proof you were responsible for paying, and a breakdown of what the service charges are for.

Hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• rich_hobbs_1
    Options
    Oh ok that’s great news thanks will 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Should just say that major works which you mention in the title of your post are something else and probably wouldn't be included in your benefit. Things like minor repairs and maintenance cost should be fine, though.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• rich_hobbs_1
    Options
    Ok thanks will 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.