anxiety,depression and anger. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

anxiety,depression and anger.

Georgina25
Georgina25 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
For years ive been fobbed off with antidepressants tried a number of dosages and brands to which none appear to suit or lift my moods.
I dont wish to go too much into personal details has will go on no end.
I have asked my GP if possible to be refered to a phychiatrist for an evaluation report because i feel its PTS. But i feel my GP is not listening to me.
feel that theres nowhere i can go to help and my mental state is getting worse and it is affecting my family.

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Not surprised really. GP's aren't good at listening.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Georgina25, and welcome! So sorry to hear this. With GPs, you are always entitled to a second opinion- I'd advise going back and speaking to a new GP, and seeing what they say. 
  • Georgina25
    This is my 4th medical centre and lost count of GP's even been seen by locals has my own GP hasn't been available, I know there's limited funding and resources but if they can't point you in the right direction who can . ??
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    How frustrating @Georgina25, I'm sorry that you've had no luck. Hopefully our mental health advisor will be in touch soon and able to offer some further advice. 
  • Georgina25
    Any help is appreciated, thank you for all thenquiries comments. 
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    RebeccaMHadvisor Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @Georgina25

I can hear that things are very difficult for you and that you are very worried about the impact your mental health is having on your family.

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned we do get lots of people on the forum who feel that they are not given the advice and support from their GP.

You have mentioned that you have received medication but feel that this hasn't helped you and would prefer talking therapy. Depending on where you are in the UK depends on how easy the access to this is. If you are suffering from PTSD, medication can be used to treat the symptoms associated. I am wondering if this was discussed with you when you were prescribed the medication?

There is some information on the MIND website that you may find helpful.

Whilst I understand that you have seen several GPs it is important that you keep going back, talk about the treatments you have received in the past and understand why they didn't work for you as well as be honest about the support you feel that you need moving forward.

• Georgina25
    Thank you for getting back to me ,I've tried to explain literally everything .But they go back to my moods etc been down to pain and it may contribute but it's not the pin point .I have no idea has to what's available in my area but majority of help is needed through referal and that's what they don't appear to want to do .
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    RebeccaMHadvisor Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @Georgina25

I am really sorry to hear that you don't feel listened to. Unfortunately in order to get a referral you really do need to have that relationship with your GP. There may be some support groups in your area that someone like Mind could help you with?

Brightness