Has the DWP changed the rules on mental health - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has the DWP changed the rules on mental health

2»

Comments

• SusiQ
    SusiQ Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    "It’s a shame but there’s a lot fear involved in esa and pip, basically because they have the power to totally ruin your life!" 
    I think you'll find that in life outside the DWP that's called "Blackmail"! - not that I'm cynical at all :wink:
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s right that the dwp have people checking every claim as it comes in and probably right that they check on your condition periodically because if there were no checks and balances people would just lie about their conditions to get free money obviously but, and it’s a big butt, these days they are ruthlessly trying to pay the bare minimum or nothing if they can. Personally I believe it has got worse since the number of claimants rose dramatically, definitely the welfare overhaul/reform resulted in some benefits being stopped altogether and universal credit will pay less overall than working tax credit and other benefits. The system has been put under tremendous strain by the rapid increase in the claiming population, it’s obvious. We already had financial problems caused by the bankers greed Andy then we had a sudden increase in the poor. Something had to give, and it wasn’t going to be the government?    
    So now we all have to suffer.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Budgie2 said:
    @wildlife will she need to go through this with ESA she's been getting ESA for a few years now but I never knew how long for it is she gets it for i always thought she got it as long has DLA/ now PIP was in payment ?
    ESA is an open ended award. Reviews can happen anytime from three months following the award. Usually the longest review time is 3 years for SG but some are being defered

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi all,

Cockey Rebel has given excellent advice on this thread and I can't add any more to it apart from to leeCal, the DWP amended the descriptors in March 2017 so it's only decisions from that date onwards that they need to look at again to see whether they were wrong. In my experience the DWP have always been considering 1c, 1d and 1f excluding "overwhelming psychological distress" even before the descriptor amendments so I can't see how anything will change in their decision making now.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.