Hi im getting pips, Im enquiring if I get state pension as well — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi im getting pips, Im enquiring if I get state pension as well

Fallenangel
Fallenangel Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi im getting pips do I get state pension as well? I haven't worked in 10 years or more, but I get dla, carers allowance, severe disablement for my son 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Fallenangel, and welcome to the community!

Turn2Us have some great information on state pensions and how they affect other benefits. It doesn't explicitly say anywhere that PIP is affected by state pension, but hopefully some of our other community members will be able to clarify this for you.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    FallenangelFallenangel,

Exactly - as Mike has said, yes, if you are entitled to state retirement pension based on your national insurance record then you will get it. PIP has no effect on that. Mike's point about pension credit is a good one. PIP can help you to get that and so it is worth checking whether you are entitled to pension credit.

You can try the benefits calculator to start with and see what it says. Depending on your situation, you might qualify for pension credit before you reach state pension age (if you are a man and have reached state pension age for a woman). Anyway, have a check - even if you can't get pension credit, PIP can help you to get housing benefit and/or council tax reduction. 

The benefit which would stop when you claim state retirement pension would be carer's allowance. You can't get that at the same time as retirement pension and you'd get whichever is higher (usually retirement pension). However, it's still worth claiming your carer's allowance too because it can make your pension credit higher.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.