PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision

kateoxo
kateoxo Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had my PIP decision last week and was shocked beyond belief after reading the assessors report.
Firstly the assessor was a physiotherapist and was cold, unsympathetic and did nothing to put me at my ease, which contradicted the leaflet on how they would be.
I answered all the questions which didn't seem applicable to what my disability was.
When I received the verdict from DWP I was in tears. Her 30 page assessment was totally inaccurate and I was told i was loosing the higher rate which meant my car. The car has been my lifeline and my last piece of independence but it was going.
It was said that I was able to walk 20 to 500 metres. This was a big inaccuracy as I am unable to walk far without suffering severe pain. She said my pain relief was low dose, my GP actually laughed at this as my pain relief is of high dosage and the next pain relief I can take when the one I am on at present will be morphine. I have bone growth on my spine which is causing pins and needles in my arms and hands and also causing sciatica so I am awaiting an MRI. I have Osteoporosis which has worsened and my medication needs changing. I also have Fibromyalgia which causes me pain every minute of every day and night.
Because of my spinal problem I was told by my GP not to do any exercise until I had my MRI in case I caused any damage to my spinal cord. The assessor put down I had shown no proof of medication, i had given her my prescription, she said I refused to do exercise which I didn't as I explained I couldn't due to GPs advice. I got upset and was in pain and tears she said I was hostile. I have never been hostile as that is not in my nature.
My Daughter who was with me phoned DWP and lodged a complaint and also wanted to start an appeal on my behalf. 
She obtained a wheel measure and gave exact figures to my GP surgery, bus stops, and local shops which was a lot more in meters than she said I was able to do. 
The DWP told my Daughter to get the letter into them as they would sooner reinstate the benefit than pay to go to tribunal. 
My GP is angry at what was said by the assessor so she too has done a report. So it' a waiting game now to see if I am to loose the last bit of independence and my life line. 
The assessor added I walked 30 metres to the office (what an exaggeration) it was no where near. The short distance it was caused a lot of pain but this was not noted. The fact I was able to hold a pen and sign my name was brought up on virtually every page. I can't prepare food because of the excruciating pain in my hands, I can't hold a pan filled with water because of the pain in my wrists and weakness and she was told i have to buy ready made frozen meals and use a microwave. The list of contradictions from her is endless.
I am now awaiting the decision further to see if I can have the higher rate reinstated but the effect this has had on my mental state is awful. I can' eat, I can' sleep. My mood is so low. I honestly don' know how these people can sleep at night, and there is people worse off than me. This system is awful 
Kate 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kateoxo
    Welcome to the community, I'm so sorry to hear about your stressful experience, unfortunately this is something we hear too often.

Im glad you are appealing the decision and that your daughter is supporting you through it.  We understand what a difficult and upsetting time going through an appeal is and we have quite a bit of info about how to go through the appeal process here.

We understand about the stresses of this situation, so please do keep talking to us and have a read of some of the other posts about member's appeals.  If you need extra support, you can call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333.

Best wishes and good luck to you!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • kateoxo
    Thank you Sam I will keep you all posted as to the answer to my daughter' letter to DWP
    Kate
  • kateoxo
    Thanks for your help. I have sent the letter my Daughter wrote on my behalf. She was careful not to call the assessor a liar but did put it in a way that she was maybe wrong in her description of me being hostile which I wasn' t and she also gave accurate measurements and said assessors cannot possibly know exactly how many meters are involved within the assessment centre. She put it basically that she may have been wrong. Will keep you all informed once I hear from them.
    Kate 
  • Annabelle26
    Annabelle26 Scope Member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    You are not alone. I too have problems with my spine & arthritis plus various other problems.  When I went for my PIP Assessment the Assessor spent all the time looking & typing into her laptop & only looked up when she asked me a question but did not let me explain properly before typing & asking the next question.  However when I got her report I was basically her new best friend as we had good rapport & there was nothing wrong with me so I scored 0 points.  According to her report the interview was 50 mins.  I did the Mandatory Review but got the same result so I have just submitted an application to the Tribunal.  I also complained to the Firm doing the Assessments & they upheld part of my complaint.  They found I the assessment lasted only approximately 20 mins because the visitors book showed i arrived at 10:20, had my Assessment at 10:30 & left at 10:52.  They wanted more information about the actual examination as according to her I had done various exercises which for me were physically impossible like bending over & touching my toes etc.  I could apparently walk 250 metres etc.  I replied by going through the report section by section telling them what was wrong.  I am now waiting for them to reply.  If you cannot do it get your Daughter to do it for you.
    I know it is really stressful to have to fight for what you are entitled to but judging by the amount of people who have gone through similar experiences it is the way you have to do it.  If enough people fight maybe one day the DWP will wake up & look at the procedures & see what is happening.  One the on hand the DWP is supposedly trying to save money but it must be costing them more with people going through the MR & Tribunal procedures to get the benefit.
  • Meadow
    Meadow Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    So sorry to hear this but it is normal behaviour as im on my second round two of tribunals!  Unbelievable but everyone must try and appeal! Legal aid is available check out a solicitor near you via this site. 
    It is illegal, inhuman and barbaric what they are doing. 8 weeks stopped my ESA as to ill to go 34 mile round trip. Last assessment 110miles and the assessment lied on every single question. For me at the time my doctors stood by me as i have no one. This time employing a legal representative as I cant physically and mentally deal with it. 
    Justice by applying to appeal and tribunal is the way forward. Ignored my MP! All in it together i think not it is discrimination 

• kateoxo
    I' sorry to hear you are having such a bad time with your claim. We are certainly not all in this together, this government is discriminating against the sick and disabled.
    Keep fighting. I wish you so much luck 
    Kate
  • kateoxo
    You are probably right. I know if I lose my car that' my lifeline gone as I couldn't walk to my shops then walk back with shopping. I am in pain virtually everyday and night and I rely an my car just to get a few essentials. My Daughter helps with any big shops
  • Meadow
    Meadow Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you for your kindness and time in response.  DWP have TOLD cab that the majority of ESA and PIP will be stopping. To claim JSA. Do not as if you claim this you are not allowed back on ESA. Clever trick for unwell people to fall fail of. Await a manager from DWP to call since Friday none available ....i sit at home no hope of any servicing because i have no money to argue...now law society says they can not help with legal aid....i am entitled to ESA at a reduced rate whilst waiting for an independent not to make me feel even more ill by interrogation, humiliation before i can forget be forced to use food banks which is all processed tin food...today i am going to enjoy a lovely book

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.