Personal Independence payments: All 1.6 million claims to be reviewed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Personal Independence payments: All 1.6 million claims to be reviewed

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
The BBC is reporting that:

Every person receiving Personal Independence Payments (PIP) will have their claim reviewed, the Department for Work and Pensions has said.

A total of 1.6 million of the main disability benefit claims will be reviewed, with around 220,000 people expected to receive more money.

It comes after the DWP decided not to challenge a court ruling that said changes to PIP were unfair to people with mental health conditions.

What are your thoughts on this? Could this affect you?

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Doesn't affect me as I reported no mental health issues in my PIP claim.  I don't see the point of DWP reviewing claims where no mental health issues were reported.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    They are just reviewing those that couldn't plan or follow a journey alone due to causing psychological stress due to mental health for the mobility part only from 2016
  • spire2003
    spire2003 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Are they only reviewing claims where mental health issues were reported or do they actually mean EVERYONE? If it is everyone then DWP are creating work for themselves. My wife got enhanced on both sections ongoing with no reference to mental health. Only physical issues were mentioned. 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    I was reassessed a couple of years ago when my DLA ended and was awarded PIP for an ongoing period later than 2025. My disabilities are wholly physical but following yesterday's announcement does this mean I can be recalled for yet another assessment ?  I am now seriously concerned about the possible effect on my life as a whole after being assured that all would stay in effect for another 7 years.  I need more information.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2018
    It's for  not been able to planning or following a journey due to physiological stress from 2016
  • [Deleted User]
    spire2003 said:
    Are they only reviewing claims where mental health issues were reported or do they actually mean EVERYONE? If it is everyone then DWP are creating work for themselves. My wife got enhanced on both sections ongoing with no reference to mental health. Only physical issues were mentioned. 
    She's safe 
  • [Deleted User]
    exdvr said:
    I was reassessed a couple of years ago when my DLA ended and was awarded PIP for an ongoing period later than 2025. My disabilities are wholly physical but following yesterday's announcement does this mean I can be recalled for yet another assessment ?  I am now seriously concerned about the possible effect on my life as a whole after being assured that all would stay in effect for another 7 years.  I need more information.
    No you shouldn't be called
  • jjdd70
    jjdd70 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    my husband won at tribunal last year he suffers from depression and the statement of reason says cannot plan a journey given his cognitive issues and and anxiety on the statement of reason says he suffers with mental health problems and these conditions cause him problems with the activities in the claim pack .his award runs out 2019 october so does this mean he qulaifys and can we get this earlier or do we have to wait

• Weedavey72
    Weedavey72 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Will they be reassessing rejected claims where the scored people 0 despite proven mental health issues or are they just reassessing people who currently getting some form of PIP? 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2018
    This my understanding and what iv been told by DWP ...Those that was suffering with phycological Distress on the mobility part help with getting around , and proved this but didn't get points will be getting points from claims from 2016
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    BBC don't always get their facts right (when the media report something I know to be wrong, I wonder how much else they are getting wrong!).  Is the total PIP claimants 1.6 million or are there 1.6 million affected by the recent court ruling?  I don't think 1.6 million are affected, more like a few hundred thousand.

I think it will be as @Budgie2 says, quoted below:
    "They are just reviewing those that couldn't plan or follow a journey alone due to causing psychological stress due to mental health for the mobility part only from 2016"

• [Deleted User]
    Will they be reassessing rejected claims where the scored people 0 despite proven mental health issues or are they just reassessing people who currently getting some form of PIP? 
    Yes they will be assessing those that was rejected also
  • [Deleted User]
    Budgie2 said:
    Yes they will be assessing those that was rejected also you will not have another f2f they will just review the claim

• Weedavey72
    Weedavey72 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Budgie2 said:
    Budgie2 said:
    Yes they will be assessing those that was rejected also you will not have another f2f they will just review the claim

Thanks Budgie2 - that’s helpful 
  • [Deleted User]
    1.6 million ppl will be reviewed some of those who was rejected on phycological stress  mobility part so they will end up getting something ...220, 000 or 120,000 of those ppl will end up with more money for the mobility part
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2018
    So it means if someone got low mobility points with phsicoligical stress and had proof they do ..They will now get the Discriptor B or E points on the mobility descriptor cannot plan or follow a journey alone due to phsicoligical distress@ weedavey72
  • [Deleted User]
    Descriptors B and E  on the mobility part only so which ever your medical evidence describes you 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.