Not much support for adults — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not much support for adults

Sholay09
Sholay09 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
edited January 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
My name is Shola, I am almost 20 and I am struggling without much support for adults out there over the past few years now and it is starting to make me more angry and stressed quote frequently every single day.

Also I really hate it when people do not seem to really understand me when I still need a lot of support as I suffer from mental health problems and autism and this is unfair and I also feel very angry with the government and the way this world is going as I really want things to be improved like for everyone to be born exactly the same way, no more pain and suffering, more support for adults who are struggling and also for services to not keep going up to a certain age all of the time as it is bad and wrong for when things like that just suddenly comes to an end as someone reaches a certain age and they are left struggling like I am now without that much support that I used to have before as a child.

I really want everything like that to go back to how they used to be again without anybody saying anything negative and also for those changes to not always keep happening a lot as I feel I really hate change now as it is never really positive for me and also because of life getting extremely hard now.
S.York

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sholay09 How are you?  Sorry what you are going through.  I understand this I feel for you.

The problem is at the moment is the mental health system.  I know it is hard for you and I wish you could try to get some support.  It might be worth just having a look what is available in your area on line.  Speak to some one from SCOPE.

I agree the Government should be doing more.  Unfortunately to my cost and others like me the system is so over stretched.  If you receive any support if and when time is limited.  Budgets tight and choices made.
    Speak to your GP or you can do self referral. 

This why I am in this situation now.  Had mental health charity only three years, then ended.  I understand reason why.  So it is trying to cope on own but finding the next level of support.  It is a constant struggle day to day.

That is since I had my problems find what I can.  Various Charities and Councils over the long years.  I am afraid I am a lot older than you.  I want to sound positive but even I had to move to get the help and support.

This is about you so I am here and so is the community to listen and give advice.
    I use this forum all the time.  To sound off and tell every one what is happening.  Good to talk. Pray and hope you get support
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lorrainedysart
    lorrainedysart Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    The support for mental health is a joke my husband struggles with it to extreme levels. He was sectioned in 2005 this scared him so much but found a loop hole because he ended going in voluntary he could leave at any time which he did after one night, but there was no further action his go actually denied he was there. I am at my wits end no one listened they all think you are at it. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lorrainedysart Pleased to meet you welcome.  I agree with what you are saying.  The whole system is so stretched and full.  I have to make choices such as do I need some support or can I hang on and get help now or leave it and carry on.

I say this because I am in a half way house at the moment.  I suffer anxiety and depression.  Plus disability.  So what is helping me is this being on here.

My needs are I know this is to just have some one in the background.  To advise and give support if and when needed.

The big problem is yes I am trying to cope with the loneliness and the rest.  Try every day to help myself .  Yet I know there are people who are far worse mentally than me and if I need some one and go down hill a bit.  Then the support will not be there.  I have had tis scenario constantly.  

I wrote on my posts about how limited time you have.  All the staff I have worked with to assist me have been fantastic but I do think of how long the staff work many underpaid and undervalued.  I have respect for all of them.

I am in my fifties have had long gaps because each charity or service that I have been in to get help, support to cope.  Often so short.  Then told I can give you probably a couple hours a week.

As I leave each charity or service they have a rule you can not come back to this service.  Many of the mental Health Charities I have been in from my early twenties.  Long gaps finding another service some times year or more.

I know and many others are like me.

Nice to talk to you Take care.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness